iradium plugs

andygbsmith

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
For anyone intrested, from April 08 all UK fuel must have a 5% bio element by law.
Thats the goverment doing things without understanding the real impact of the changes they are making.
I have found no change in my fuel consumption. Still getting 55mpg plus out of the twin, but the AFR is spot on.

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So far, in Canada, we still have a choice, and I have not, nor will I, use biofuel until it is the absolute last option.
Never mind the poor mileage, I really don't believe it does your engine any good.

i remember saying the same thing about unleaded petrol - and before that about the demise of 4star. - what will be powering our Vins in 20 years time?

Last edited:

dave g6xnc

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
uel

i remember saying the same thing about unleaded petrol - and before that about the demise of 4star. - what will be powering our Vins in 20 years time?
What ever it is it can't be worse than the stuff they were designed to run on in the forties Pool petrol with a rating of about 70 octain (no, I don,t remember that but \i do remember my first drivimng lesson in a van when my mate and "instructor" said "put a quids worth in" and after reckoning on a gallon (4/6d) a month I almost had a seizure!! happy days!.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Fuel

First, overthehill, remind me to buy you a saucer of milk next time we meet..........
I think that much of the stuff we spend our time agonising about doesn't matter a toss. The man who build my Manx Norton engine (13.8:1, Cosworth pistons £250 a pop) says that they need to be timed to 34, and if the valve timing is within 5 degrees, it's OK. I was pulling 8300, 145 mph at Chimay, no worries, no new pistons, so I believe him. The plug is best described as "dirty white". Vincents run maybe 9:1, mine runs 7:1, so just how critical do you think all this stuff is?
My policy has always been to put myself in the position of the seller. How many owners can get the mixture within 1% of perfect? The ignition timing? The valve timing?
I have a Sunbeam S7. OK, my secret shame. But mine went like **** off a shovel when I accidentally advanced the ignition timing to 40 instead of 30. It has the same cr as a Vincent , so why would it need 10 deg less advance? Because grossly underloaded it would minimise warranty claims? Tell me BSA would never do such a thing! Thus revealing yourself as a moron.
A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist.