IOM Clubmans

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
according to the history of the clubmans tt, the only Wicksteed i can find is I B, rode triumph in 1950+'51, led for three laps- split fuel tank- D N F. next year finished 2 nd. No further entries in starters or finishers.

vibrac

VOC Member
No self respecting Vincent enthusiast can here the words "clubman TT" without remembering how Vincents were stiched up by BSA and the other big manufacturing firms by doctoring the rules to prevent the big twins from dominating the event (of course right up untill well into the sixties in general UK racing there was precious little unlimited racing for the same reason).
Of course nobody changed the rules again once the Goldstars started to dominate....
Not a period the mainstream firms can be proud of but they got their just deserts in the end.

vibrac

VOC Member
The primary one was to introduce a limit on Petrol consumption. After the Vincents were thus excluded from using their power and no longer competed the consumption limit was quietly dropped.

Still it all helped to plate Lady Dockers (BSA Company) Rolls Royce with gold (Not kidding!)

D

Deleted member 1085

Was it a 500cc or 1000cc that Vincent was putting up agains the rest of the British motorcycle industry? Were Vincents that much thirstier? If so, was that because they produced more power etc?

vibrac

VOC Member
It was a thousand actually a few thousands some ridden to the island then raced
the clubmans was a production race I think at the time the only other 1000 was the square 4 and that had been emasculated before the war (it started as an OHC)
but the big boys knew the little factory from Stevenage had to be stopped or sales of their mostly updated revamped pre war models would suffer.