IOM Classic TT Velocette 2018

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A very nice article on the 350 Velocette effort:

Chris Swallow Velocette 2018.PNG

https://velocetteracing.wordpress.com/about-the-2018-iom-campaign/building-a-works-350/

David

D

Deleted member 3831

The work is all the more incredible when you consider that Nick Thompson does all his machining on manually controlled machines, no CNC equipment anywhere in his workshop. Those who saw it perform in the Isle of Man will readily agree I'm sure that it goes every bit as well as it looks, and is a credit to all involved.

D

Deleted member 3831

Of further interest may be the undermentioned 2014 article describing the work that has gone into the other Velocette in the stable, the further development of a remarkable DOHC conversion of a pushrod MOV, originally by Australian Les Diener in the 1950's. Pictures within the write-up clearly show the watch like timing gear, and the milling equipment used for much of the machining work.

Attachments

• eldee-1-2-3_legend_brnz-s.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 35

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nick's first venture into Velo racing was to buy (along with one of his brothers) one of the six Thruxtons sold new in New Zealand, and in the mid or late '70s, entered a six-hour production race, against modern large Japanese bikes. They were doing very well until the engine let go in a big way. I think it was the conrod. Anyway, it destroyed the engine. They rebuilt it, and had to sell.

In the '80s, Nick raced a distinctive / slightly odd Venom in classic racing. Lots of clever detail mods, but not radical development. Upswept, wide clip-ons and an all-over white paint job, which looked as though he applied it with a wide paint brush. It was known as the 'Fisher and Paykel special' (a New Zealand brand making ovens, washing machines and the like, known as 'whitewear'). I think Nick has moved on a bit since then....