Investment Potential

Mick Parry

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Chaps

I know that this subject will piss a few people off, but I will do it anyway.

I am soon about to retire and will have a lot more time on my hands. I currently run a BSA B31 and over the last two years have clocked up a massive 300 miles. This is only due to lack of time. I work ludicrously long hours and thank goodness this is soon to end.

Therefore I am going to be able to potter about a bit more often on the bike as well as indulge in my other hobbies of clay pigeon shooting and gardening.

Here is the question, we are coming into a recession that will probably take 5 years to climb out of, hopefully a bit quicker, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Should I treat myself to a Vincent as an investment that I can also use. I know I can invest in shares and property ( I have 2 uk houses and one in Spain plus a load of shares) but I could justify buying a Vincent to the wife if I could safely bet on selling it in say 10 years at a decent profit.

On one side, most enthusiasts are like me, in their fifties and sixties and we are going to slowly die off and that could see a lot of bikes coming up on the market and hence it would be a crap investment.

On the other side, men like toys and classic bikes are toys and there will always be rich ******s who can buy them without batting an eyelid. The Indian and Chineese economies will be prospering with a lot more potential buyers.

I will leave it until early next year when I retire and I suspect prices will be tighter than now and more bargains will appear.

If I buy it, I will carefully maintain it and use it but I do want to edge my bets financially.

So any views on whether it is worth jumping in

Regards

Mick

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Chaps

I am soon about to retire and will have a lot more time on my hands. I currently run a BSA B31 and over the last two years have clocked up a massive 300 miles. This is only due to lack of time. I work ludicrously long hours and thank goodness this is soon to end.

Therefore I am going to be able to potter about a bit more often on the bike as well as indulge in my other hobbies of clay pigeon shooting and gardening.

Here is the question, we are coming into a recession that will probably take 5 years to climb out of, hopefully a bit quicker, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Should I treat myself to a Vincent as an investment that I can also use. I know I can invest in shares and property ( I have 2 uk houses and one in Spain plus a load of shares) but I could justify buying a Vincent to the wife if I could safely bet on selling it in say 10 years at a decent profit.

On one side, most enthusiasts are like me, in their fifties and sixties and we are going to slowly die off and that could see a lot of bikes coming up on the market and hence it would be a crap investment.

On the other side, men like toys and classic bikes are toys and there will always be rich ******s who can buy them without batting an eyelid. The Indian and Chineese economies will be prospering with a lot more potential buyers.

I will leave it until early next year when I retire and I suspect prices will be tighter than now and more bargains will appear.

If I buy it, I will carefully maintain it and use it but I do want to edge my bets financially.

So any views on whether it is worth jumping in

Regards

Mick
``rich ******s`` Does that include yourself ?

Mick Parry

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Trev

I am both an enthusiasts and an investor.

To be fair, Vincents have always been highly priced and have always attracted people like me (us ?).

So what do you think.

Regards

Mick .... rich ******

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Vincents have the advantage that they are both an investment and have an enjoyable use !!
When I bought mine in '94 it was mainly because I had wanted one forever and I thought if I didn't buy one then I would probably never be able to !! Prices had been stagnent for a while and I thought they were undervalued. Time has proven me right , prices have increased strongly over the last 5 years and I think they still have some way to go.
For a while they were on a par with DBD34 Goldies and '59 Bonnies !! I thought , that won't last long !! Excellent though the Goldy and Bonny are , they are no way as unique and definitive as the Vincent.
I look at this way , Broughs are now mega bucks , but even accepting the famous person link , no way are they in the same ball park as the Vin so I see prices rising even higher , particularly as the world becomes more aquainted through the web.

Objectionable as that may be to the enthusiast who doesn't like to think about the money issue , it's a fact of life.

vibrac

VOC Member
Chaps

I am soon about to retire and will have a lot more time on my hands. I .....

Well Mick
I have a vincent that cost me £15 I have raced it for 40 years now my son races it what is worth ? its worth what it was :a bike to race on plus lots of work what else would I buy for the money?
2 years ago I bought a basket case 'D' that I rebuilt and sold ,what did I spend the money on? an engine and parts for a racing egli wich I have owned for 20 years
That goes for all my old bikes all built in part over the years nothing I put on the insurance list each year would recconpence me if I lost them.
my modern bikes could go tomorrow the insurance would cover or I could buy another or an electric wheel chair
Nothing you buy can compare to something you build or work on for a long time thats real investment.
my investment man told me you got it right if the cheque to the undertaker bounces

bmetcalf

VOC Member
you got it right if the cheque to the undertaker bounces

That is the best thought I have seen all day.