• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

    Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

    You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

    If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

    If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

International Rally importing motorcycles into the USA.


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member

First, I am just a member of the Vincent H.R D. Owners Club and not one of the hard working members toiling on the 2011 International Rally.

That being cleared up, it is my understanding there has been some questions about getting your Vincent Motorcycles imported into the United States. I have gone on line to see about this. It seem pretty cut and dry as to what is necessary here for foreign visitors to temporarily import vintage motorcycles into the USA.


Temporary importation by non-US residents:
Nonresidents of the United States (including U.S. citizens living abroad) may temporarily import nonconforming motor vehicles into the United States for personal use, for a period not to exceed one year.
The vehicle must be registered in a country other than the United States at the time of entry, mustnot be sold while it is in the United States, and must be exported when the year is up. If you wish to import your vehicle under these conditions, you should check Box 5 on the HS-7 Declaration Form to be given to Customs at the time the vehicle is presented for entry. Your passport number and the country that issued the passport must be specified on the declaration. An international convention governs the importation of these vehicles. The United States is a signatory to this convention. The convention provides that vehicles can be imported under its terms for a period of up to one year. NHTSA has no authority to extend the one-year period that a vehicle imported in this manner is allowed to remain in the United States.

Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old:

Any vehicle that is 25 years old or older is exempt from the prohibitions on the importation of nonconforming vehicles, and can be imported into the U.S. regardless of whether it conforms to all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form that should be given to Customs at the time of entry. The 25-year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. Unless the date of manufacture can be determined from a label affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such
information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.

Link to HS-7 Declaration Form.
Phone contact NHTSA Vehicle Import Division 202-366-5291.

US Customs And Border Protection (Again the "25" Year Rule)
Phone contact 877-CBP-5511

I have exported motorcycles to Germany and the U.K. using Schumacher Cargo Logistics, <http://www.schumachercargo.com/>, and found them very reliable and efficient. I am sure if enquiries were made of them, they could help with this issue.

Ken Smith
Warning! This thread is more than 12yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.