Interesting photograph

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This photograph popped up on Facebook and straight away you think, whats going on here. Wheels are missing and number plates are all over the place.
I was going to put it in the "Where are you now" threads but then its also of general interest.
Apparently this was a scene at Calais during a European trip. The Comet was involved in a collision, damaging the forks and as a result fastened to the back end of the Shadow outfit and brought home.
A great photograph but does anyone know any details of the persons involved or know the bikes?
Comet MGF 417, Shadow WMK 930 or the Vincent behind the outfit, which I initially thought was KDD 674 but could be KCD, KGD, KCO or KGO
Jon Lambley
Machine Researcher

Attachments

• Vincent recovery services.jpg
    Vincent recovery services.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 81

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
No I think they put the Comet vrm on the front of the Shadow to somehow make it seem more legal i.e. same vrm on the front and back of the huge vehicle it had become.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes, although manufacturers ceased fitting them in the UK several decades ago, I've never heard of anyone being sliced by one. I'd be more worried about being hit by the bike itself.
At least it would be a clean cut !

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I seem to recall it was a member of a government ministers(Home office) family that was injured by a front number plate and that they were made non mandatory within a very short while. A case of it isnt what you know...