Interesting if only 1/2 true!

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am going to commit heresy now! To an old boy in the UK the plethora of records and specific record classes in the US in a Bonneville context is bewildering.all those capacity, age, streamlining, etc etc classes so many records very confusing.
We have a 'person' over here called Henry Cole who drives me mad on a TV program because he is the face of motorcycling that UK TV sees and it makes me shudder . I usually reach sensory overload about half way through his program, but I think he got a record over there by picking some out of the way class for an old bike in a sparse capacity class which has kind of devalued the term 'world record' in my eyes.
I must not be too hard on the US diversification of motorcycle sport into many classes is everywhere
The days of simple capacity classes are gone forever even modern motorcycle racing has two or three disciplines real road racing, Moto GP racing,superbikes. Even within Vintage racing we have 28 (Yes 28!) classes in BHR! and 3 classes for scooters! I am simply lost, is it a desire to make a level playing field for all (manufactures and riders) or a case of if you cant win make a class where you can?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I am going to commit heresy now! To an old boy in the UK the plethora of records and specific record classes in the US in a Bonneville context is bewildering.all those capacity, age, streamlining, etc etc classes so many records very confusing.
We have a 'person' over here called Henry Cole who drives me mad on a TV program because he is the face of motorcycling that UK TV sees and it makes me shudder . I usually reach sensory overload about half way through his program, but I think he got a record over there by picking some out of the way class for an old bike in a sparse capacity class which has kind of devalued the term 'world record' in my eyes.
I must not be too hard on the US diversification of motorcycle sport into many classes is everywhere
The days of simple capacity classes are gone forever even modern motorcycle racing has two or three disciplines real road racing, Moto GP racing,superbikes. Even within Vintage racing we have 28 (Yes 28!) classes in BHR! and 3 classes for scooters! I am simply lost, is it a desire to make a level playing field for all (manufactures and riders) or a case of if you cant win make a class where you can?
I think it is a combination of each in equal parts to be truthful. Competitors don't like a particular set of rules/restrictions pertaining to their given class of racing. They petition the governing body to change or make an exception for them. Sponsors and promoters get behind the idea if they believe it will be profitable and paying customers will pay to see it. If the public turns out to see it, promoters get a return on their investment, racers race what makes them happy, sponsors get customers into their shops to buy something similar to the latest winning racer. In theory everyone goes away happy. Unfortunately the downside is interest may wain in some class to such an extent that it is no longer profitable to promote and it falls to the wayside. Those whose class became obsolete are now the disaffected minority for awhile until such time as the "new and improved" becomes less of a crowd puller and a return to a "purer form of racing" becomes "the thing" and the cycle continues.

Albervin

VOC Member
OK. So what "World Record" did Rollie set on the Edgar bike? I suppose what annoys me is that the absolute world record for motorcycles was set by Russell Wright but most Americans only know of Rollie Free. The reason being Russell was a Kiwi and the record was set in New Zealand. Again, ask many Americans where New Zealand is and you will get a wide range of (wrong) answers. I take nothing away from Rollie's bravery to ride a Series B at such a speed on the salt but there should be clarity.

Keith Martin

VOC Member
Rollie Free set AMA Class C records. Class C was for "production motorcycles" that was also divided by engine size. At 150mph it was the fastest motorcycle in the USA at that time.

Racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats is something very different from any other form of racing I have participated in. There are some big money teams but most are true privateer racers that spend their vacation time each year going to the salt. Whether it be cars or bikes everyone is treated the same and the SCTA does a great job running the traditional Speedweek.
It is a ton of work just to get yourself and the bike to the salt.
The many classes insures that no matter what type of bike you have you have a place to run. Working hard and making your bike faster each year is a goal many have. Getting a record in any class takes time, money and hard work. It also can be very dangerous.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Marty Dickerson raced in Class C. Class C was limited to gasoline as the fuel, and even limited on the octane rating, and also limited as to the compression ratio of the engine, among other restrictions.

Rollie’s 150 MPH record was the fastest unstreamlined, unsupercharged motorcycle in the world at that time. You can joke all you want about the myriad of record classes, but those two attributes, along with engine displacement, are certainly significant.

In the strictest sense, “world record” means a record sanctioned by an international organization like the FIM for motorcycles, or the FIA for automobiles. But that term is not limited to that meaning.

Albervin

VOC Member
Steve, that is the first time it has ever been explained. I have never disputed the man's courage but because it was always called a World Record without clarification I assumed it was another act of self aggrandisement by the media. Thank you for clarifying the situation. I assume he used a methanol blend?

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
Marty Dickerson raced in Class C. Class C was limited to gasoline as the fuel, and even limited on the octane rating, and also limited as to the compression ratio of the engine, among other restrictions.

Rollie’s 150 MPH record was the fastest unstreamlined, unsupercharged motorcycle in the world at that time. You can joke all you want about the myriad of record classes, but those two attributes, along with engine displacement, are certainly significant.

In the strictest sense, “world record” means a record sanctioned by an international organization like the FIM for motorcycles, or the FIA for automobiles. But that term is not limited to that meaning.
September 13 1948 150.313 MPH American Record , I cannot find mention of a World Record