Interesting if only 1/2 true!

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If it was not sanctioned by FIM then it cannot be called a World Record even if, technically it was. This has occurred many times with motorcycles and cars (FIA). I think the reason is the FIM does not recognise all the sub-classes available at Bonneville and other sites.

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The key to setting official FIM records is paying to have an FIM official at the event. The FIM will not accept records set at any national event without their own representative onsite. The other key difference for Bonneville events is that both SCTA and AMA records are calculated as the average of two runs, but not necessarily runs made in opposite directions, and within a short time window.

I believe the FIM has fewer classes because they do not care so much about the chassis/frame. Differences like Production, Modified, and Altered aka special construction, may matter to some sanctioning bodies but not others.

There are club records, there are national records, and there are international records. Yes, my opinion, but no single authority/organization/sanctioning body has supreme, exclusive use of the term “world“ record. I do believe there is a higher level of accomplishment to set an FIM or FIA record, but I also believe that a higher speed set under similar, but not necessarily exactly the same, conditions can trump those international records.

And, I am an American that has appreciated Burns and Wright as competitors more than Rollie, and the B&W Lightning as more desirable/valuable than either the John Edgar bike or Rollie’s own Lightning.

Correct, Rollie ran with alcohol/methanol fuel, not petrol.

Last edited: