Interesting Egli

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Are those the ones with the funny needle with a flat on the side that you rotated to tune?
Yes Bruce that's right although the adjustment is against a detent spring so only single full rotations are possible. You can buy different needle holder screws which set the taper at differnet angles relative to the airflow.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Bill C., do you have any photos of the starter mountings or the alternator to post?

At the Rally, someone was musing about a gear primary drive with the idler driving an alternator. I don't know how the idler revs would work out or how practical that is overall.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Shown below, the extended crankcase studs, the MkII version of mounting plate, MkII installation, then MkIII current installation. Alternator is driven approximately double crank speed.
Irving Vincent uses gear drive. Very strong but a lot of work for little gain in the real world I would guess.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 101
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 99

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Hi Bill, In the states they are as cheap as chips but here in UK if you shop around you can get them for about £90. Regulator was supplied by the same company to their recommendation ( who I can't remeber) it was about £50.
Cheers Bill

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes Bruce that's right although the adjustment is against a detent spring so only single full rotations are possible. You can buy different needle holder screws which set the taper at differnet angles relative to the airflow.
I had one for a year on the racing Comet as they first came out in 1947-8 it was borrowed from Mr Mogvin (and Mr Gardener was still around four years ago). it was great at full throttle but a bit of an on off switch otherwise. Some of the problem was fuel regulation I did fit a float chamber but they would not allow a matchbox one (>1949 class) so I cobbled together one out of a 276 chamber but in the end I gave it back.If we ever decide to go racing again on the Comet since we are no longer eligible in the girder fork class and they let Egli Vincents in the race and nobody seems to care about championships we might as well use an 1-3/8 GP I guess thats 1950-51 vintage

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You can use them without floats, Bit like Wal Phillips Injectors, The Tank is the float chamber,
There is a small difference between full tank and low, But not much.
Ron Gardner told me off !, He wanted me to use floats, But he didn't on his test rig, Nice Bloke, I went round his house before I bought my first Square one, But I have always been BAD !.
I had so much shortage of petrol, At the Speed/Rev's I was looking for, With Mk1 concentrics, And even
36mm Dellortos, Till I was told I could use the float valve out of the 40mm jobs,
So I thought theres the tank, Then the pipe, And that's it, I had the 30mm Gardners, Then the 32 mm ones,
Good Power, But a bit of a drip etc + a bit of sticking some times, Slow running not good, But I have seen Bill Cannon's on Video, And his seem better. Cheers Bill.