Interesting Egli

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This bike showed up In Wagrain at the International Rally. Its harley-type starter and apparent belt-driven Lucas alternator are interesting.
full
full
full
full

davidd

VOC Member
Bruce,

Thanks! Very interesting. It looks like the starter is a sprag clutch, but I don't have much experience with starters unless they are rollers. Harley makes most of their starters by using sprag clutches. There are some Bendix type starters in use on older bikes. Even the Bendix has a sprag clutch so when the pinion pops into the starter gear it freewheels if it sticks. Otherwise it would back drive the starter. The Harley guys call them "starter clutches" and none of them seem very happy with them. They seem to start the bikes well for a time and then they need replacement. I believe they use a "raceless" roller bearing as the clutch that lives a hard life.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I had some of those Early Square Gardner Carb's, For me, They worked better than the later nicer looking ones.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
This bike showed up In Wagrain at the International Rally. Its harley-type starter and apparent belt-driven Lucas alternator are interesting.
full
full
full
full
Bruce, I am the guilty party! My daughter lives near Wagrain so I only came over on the tuesday and the sunday.
Starter motor is from a BMW F800 but looiks like a generic Lapanese one. Reduction and ring gears and sprag clutch are from a Suzuli Intruder 800., mounted behind the Commando belt drive clutch. Has proved reliable for about 700 miles so far, which is better than my experience with the previous Grosset.

Alternator is a Kubota 140W. I originally tried to run it off the smooth side of the primary bely but it slipped so didn't keep the battery charged. This MkII version, completed on the Saturday I left for Austria, charges well but is causiing a problem with the run of the primary belt, hence I only used it for very short rides.
I have now slimmed down the alternator to move it out of the way of the primary belt which is now one size shorter. I think this should work OK but hasn't been road tested yet.
Cheers Bill

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The Egli might belong to Bill Cannon, I was talking with Bill last Sunday, he said he did take a genuine Fritz Egli Vincent to the rally in Wagrain, said it had an aluminium fuel tank and could do with tidying up a little, his words, not mine, so could be one of the same.