Insuring unregistered bikes/british bikes in France

steve998

Forum User
VOC Member
What can I do? My Shadow is a bitsa and not registered in the uk because I live in France and only finished the restoration over here. I have sleepless nights for the lack of insurance. Its the same story with the Comet although that is reigstered in the UK but also lives in France. Any ideas??

A

alan wright

Insuring unregisterd bikes/british bikes in france

Hi, I moved here Sept 07 and brought 2 UK registered B Rapides with me. They are still on UK numbers and I paid less than 400 euros to insure from 17/7/08 until 01/04/09. This insurance co starts all Classic bike policies from April 1st so I expect next years to be circa 500 euros. I had to supply a valuation as I wanted agreed value (27000 euros), a copy of UK driving licence and a no claims discount letter from my last UK insurer. I got all I wanted, including "tous risques" ( fully comp), no mileage limit and I can ride any where in the EU without informing the Insurers, so I am very happy BUT I will still go shopping near the renewal time. If you are interested speak to Mr Aime Boma at Motillon Assurances on 0549 39 51 74 or e-mail poitiersmotillon@agence.general.fr or fax 0549 39 51 66. hope this helps, good luck ( PS, I only insured 1 bike, the other one is for polishing !! ) Best regards Alan Wright

steve998

Forum User
VOC Member
That is certainly a solution to the Comet, by the way what was the situation regarding MOT when you come to renewal?

My problem of how to insure an un-reg or off-road bike, the Shadow in my case remains. Perhaps for you too with the shiny one. It occurs to me that race bikes must come into this category and they are even more expensive! Any experience our there?

A

alan wright

Hi again, don't worry about the MOT as there is no equivalent on motor cycles in France. Regarding getting a French registration certificate ( Carte Gris ) I went to the local Hotel d'Impots ( Tax Office) in Confolens and showed them some ID including Passport, a recent EDF bill and my old English logbook and they wrote out a "Certificat D'Aquisition there and then.When I wanted French plates on the BMW car I took the Certificat D'Aqusition ( and the Controle Technique which is the French MOT for cars),to the local Sous Prefecture, gave them 190 euros and about a week later I was the proud owner of a Carte Gris. I took this to the local appointed number plate man, gave him 40 euros and he made the plates and fitted them using special rivets. They will NOT let you take the plates away and fit them.Your problem will be that you have no UK logbook so I have contacted my mate in Lyons who is a leading light in the French version of the VMCC and he will tell me how to proceed. Watch this space, best regards, Alan

steve998

Forum User
VOC Member
Thats the rub, without a UK logbook it is apparently impossible to register a bike (or car) in France. French logic dictates that it must have been registered once alors where's the carte gris?
Plates must be tougher where you are. When I changed departement I took my BMW car carte grise to a shop and they made them up.
Speaking of BMW's I really must reg my UK 2 wheel version. No control technique for bikes eh? Thats new to me and may make things easy enough to overcome my inertia.
Look forward to news from Lyon man TTFN

A

alan wright

Insuring`unregistered bikes/british bikes in France

Hi Steve, can you contact me by e-mail as I have loads of info and don't want to clog up the Forum. My e-mail is ;- alan.wright@free.fr. Wait to hear from you, best regards Alan