Insurance. Read the small print.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello, Having read my Hagerty docs more closely I think Big Ed has missed the heading. The part about the vehicle not belonging to the policy holder and not being available to you applies to you driving other vehicles not belonging to the policy holder, not your own bikes.
There is one exclusion /limitation That I can not understand, if you are driving another vehicle insured under this scheme an excess of £1000 will apply. John.
This is what is printed on my current Certificate of Insurance Document with my name and registration number removed by myself:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name of policyholder: My Name
Period of insurance: From: 18/09/2019 00:00:00 To: 17/09/2020 23:59:00 Both days inclusive
Policy number: HIL/12383919/HCP
Vehicle registration: My Rapide registration number
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insured persons: The policyholder and the named insured persons listed below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Named Insured Persons: My Name

All named insured persons must have a valid licence to drive a vehicle and must
not be disqualified for holding or obtaining such a licence.
You may drive other vehicles in accordance with the terms of the policy. The
following exceptions apply:
- The vehicle must not be hired to your employer
- The vehicle must not belong to them or their employer, be under a hire purchase agreement or lease agreement with them or their employer
- The vehicle must not be available for the regular use by you or a named insured person.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class of use: Use for social domestic and pleasure purposes excluding: racing, pacemaking, speed testing, competitions, use on the Nurburgring, or for the carriage of passengers for hire or reward, commercial travelling or for motor trade purposes.
I hereby certify that the policy to which this certificate relates satisfies the requirements of the relevant law applicable in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Island of Guernsey, the Island of Jersey and the Island of Alderney.
HISCOX INSURANCE COMPANY LTD
Authorised Insurers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your documentation may be different but as this is the certificate of insurance and the registration number on it is the registration number of my Rapide and I am the policyholder and named insured person. I interpret it as saying that my Rapide must not be available for regular use by myself. It all seems very strange to me. Do we have an insurance person amongst our readers? Maybe others insured with Hagerty could check their certificate of insurance and see if their's is similar?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You may drive other vehicles in accordance with the terms of the policy. The
following exceptions apply:
- The vehicle must not be hired to your employer
- The vehicle must not belong to them or their employer, be under a hire purchase agreement or lease agreement with them or their employer
- The vehicle must not be available for the regular use by you or a named insured person.

Ed, I think your reading it wrong. The section starts with saying you may drive other vehicles etc and the following exceptions apply: and then it goes on to list those 3 exceptions as each one starts with -

So the comment about regular use is referring to driving other vehicles under the cover of the policy and not referring to your own bike listed on the certificate.

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Indeed. The third bullet point highlighted by Simon is saying that you or any other named person on your policy, you or them are not covered when driving someone else's vehicle, if that other vehicle is provided to you for "regular use".

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks for everyone for your replies.
I have spent a lot of time actually reading the "small print" including policy schedules and document pack. It does not mention anywhere " you may drive other vehicles and the following exceptions apply" so it may be that my comprehensive cover is not the same as others.
I have decided not to continue my insurance with Hagerty at the renewal date.
Thanks again.

john998

VOC Member
Hello Eddy, I understand you miss trust of insurance companies, they do appear to be good at wriggling out of paying up as much as possible.
Having said that Hagerty have been one of the best to deal with, in all my dealings so far.
John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's a bit like a motor traders insurance !, You Really don't want to claim if poss '.
I ran a V12 Jag as a Company car :D .

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You could just ring Hagerty and ask for clarification. I always find them willing to answer any question and are generally very helpful unlike most other classic bike insurance companies, and I think I have used most of them over the years.