Insurance. Read the small print.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My bike insurance comes up for renewal in September. I was looking at last years documents for the cost last time. I noticed a few things that I hadn't seen before. (The "small print" was actually not so small I just hadn't bothered to read it properly!)

Named Insured Persons section. One of the stipulations states:
  • The vehicle must not be available for the regular use by you or a named insured person.
Limitations of Use section.
  • Vehicles insured by this program will be operated on a limited basis consistent with the operation of a classic vehicle. All drivers of the vehicles insured by this policy will also own a regular use vehicle that is used for normal everyday driving to and from work or school and general transportation. Coverage is dependent on compliance with these conditions.
I do own other vehicles and have stated an annual mileage. My Rapide is my vehicle of choice and I ride it often for general transportation. Not wishing to be too cynical, I wonder how the bits I've highlighted in the bulleted points might be interpreted in a disputed claim.

The above comes from a policy with Hagerty. Other insurers may have similar stipulations so I'm not getting at Hagerty and may or may not insure with them again. I will, however, be looking at the "small print" when I am comparing quotes.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
So does the first bullet point by default mean that the vehicle must be available by every other Tom, Dick or Harry for regular use?................

bmetcalf

VOC Member
"Not available" and "limited basis consistent with" are pretty vague. Here in the US, I haven't heard the stories of insurance companies investigating so much to see if they can deny the claim. My policies do require a modern car or bike for each insured old vehicle, but I only have my Rap and a '31 Ford and a '66 TR4A, so I comply there.

Stanley Chappell

VOC Member
I have just renewed my insurance very reluctantly after they put up my premium.
I spoke to one of there representatives to a ask why none of my bikes have been out since lock down his reply was the increase was due to fire risk all of a suddenly
Bikes have started to catch fire what a load of bulls bunk.I moved to hagertys
Because every year I was getting ripped of cheap for the first year then they
Up the premium I really thought that hagertys where different but hey ho

vibrac

VOC Member
I have my bikes with Haggerty I have found them very fair a couple of times I have had a new bike within months of renewal and they added them at no charge. I also get covered for the Kop hill climb at no charge
I moved to them because my old insurer (before 40 year MOT rule)had put all my bikes including my racers on a comprehensive insurance saying for the racers it was cheaper than fire storage and theft cover then I found a clause thats said bikes without MOT were only insured for half value! The insurance small print should be compulsory reading in the small room.

brian gains

VOC Member
insurer's are as wriggly as a wriggly thing when it comes to a claim. The less conditions the better as in the event of a claim there is less scope for misinterpretation.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
...... I have my bikes with Haggerty I have found them very fair a couple of times ....
I moved to them because my old insurer (before 40 year MOT rule)had put all my bikes including my racers on a comprehensive insurance saying for the racers it was cheaper than fire storage and theft cover then I found a clause that said bikes without MOT were only insured for half value! The insurance small print should be compulsory reading in the small room.

For motorcycle over 200cc, an M-o-T test is £29.65 so that would add to an additional bottom-line cost for your insurance and maybe multiple times if you have more than one M-o-T machine.
Motorcycle (engine size over 200cc)£29.65

vibrac

VOC Member
For motorcycle over 200cc, an M-o-T test is £29.65 so that would add to an additional bottom-line cost for your insurance and maybe multiple times if you have more than one M-o-T machine.
Motorcycle (engine size over 200cc)£29.65
I think the cost would be a little more to MOT a racer think silencer , continious note horn, registration plate (assuming thats possible) and thats just a no lights MOT

john998

VOC Member
Hello, Having read my Hagerty docs more closely I think Big Ed has missed the heading. The part about the vehicle not belonging to the policy holder and not being available to you applies to you driving other vehicles not belonging to the policy holder, not your own bikes.
There is one exclusion /limitation That I can not understand, if you are driving another vehicle insured under this scheme an excess of £1000 will apply. John.