Insurance Quotations

Damien McGouran

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The bike I recently bought is about to have its V5c updated (next week according to DVLA), after this, I want to finish off installing the electric starter and get it on the road and enjoy it before the bitter cold kicks in!

Free road tax and MOT exemption all helps but I need to get insurance. What is a reasonable quote for a normal person with a series C Rapide?

Footman James are quoting £395 and Carol Nash was £404 but after a chat with their receptionist it was reduced to £347. I expect the policy to reflect the value of the machine but these numbers sound really expensive to me. Perhaps I am 'living in cloud cuckoo land' or still locked in the 1980's where classic bike insurance was under £100

Are there any other insurance companies out there that are able to quote a reasonable price and won't make you feel that you have just been ripped off?

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think your figures are in the right ball park, I have a Rapide and Comet insured with RH for a similar amount, but I think they work on the principle that you can only ride one at a time, also consider the value that you are insuring, and if it got stolen you would expect paying out on, the days of £100.00 are long gone.

Colin

VOC Member
Peter
I've recently switchedto Hagerty and saved about £150 pa on my previous Insurer. Also the do Agreed Value up to £20000 on your say so alone. Onlyover that figure did I need to provide valuations and photos. I found them easy to deal with

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I changed from RH to Peter James in July, I’d been with RH for some years and only moved because of price. The VMCC have just launched an insurance scheme through Peter James which may be worth a look.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I recently moved the insurance cover for my 1948 Vincent Rapide to Peter James via the VMCC. I paid £597.61 inclusive of £10.00 policy charge and I.P.T. includes - Motor Legal Expenses - UK and European Breakdown Recovery.
Initially, that might sound rather steep but as it also covers my 1987 HONDA CBR1000F, 2018 Yamaha Tracer 700, 1926 Sunbeam Model 9, and a 2003 Ducati ST4s I consider it to be quite a good deal.
Putting a Vincent on any policy is always likely to attract a higher premium because of the perceived high value. It is worth shopping around to get the best deal depending on how many vehicles you need to insure.

Damien McGouran

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Edd. I want to thank you and all of the others that sent replies. I guess I was still living in the dark ages expecting classic insurance still to be quite reasonable.
Armed with all the different company names, I'll give it another shot today. I was only intending to insure the Rapide but I might as well get the Triumph Hurricane on the same policy.
Thanks guys
D

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I'm with Hegarty also. 40,000 agreed value, 2000 miles per year, must have a newer bike for regular use (1996 BMW R100R).
about 220.00 fully comp.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I'm with RH and have just paid £946, this is for my Rapide, 1000 Norvin, 11-50 Brough Superior, SS100 Brough Superior replica (proper replica, not something that looks a bit like one) and Norton Dommi.

This I consider a bargain, the responses from several company's representatives when trying to explain the intricacies of old bikes and specials are ludicrous.

This was one supposed famous classic bike insurer (C/N)
When the person had eventually had to ask a supervisor about the 11-50 being a genuine model (he only had SS 80 and SS100 listed) asked if it was to manufacturers specification to which I replied it wasn't as the gearbox was a foot change rather than the original hand change and the tanks were off an SS80 from 5 years later (they are individually numbered) to which he replied it would have to go on a modern bike policy and was it fitted with a performance exhaust ?
We didn't get much further as I tried explaining the origin of the parts of the SS 100 replica and I gave up.

Last edited: