Insurance in the UK

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As some of you are aware my inlaws Bernard and Barbara Knope have been over from Oz for the last 2 months. They encountered problems in trying to hire a car because of thier ages. Alas I spoke to my insures and had them put on my policy as named drivers for £38 for the year full comp.

Arthur Farrow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Green cards were (are?) required and accepted in EUROPE as a means of authenticating cross border Insurance within Europe where various countries had differing legal requirements. All a green card does is confirm you have cover for the basic minimum legal requirement in another state.

However generally an Insurer Isuing a Green card will up the cover to the level you normally enjoy in UK (ie comprehensive, unlimited legal liability etc)

Its a complex issue still and hard to give generic advice, but always ask your Insurer if you will be FULLY Insured in a territory other than your own if you do not have a green card. Frequently the answer is YES but with the constant pressure on price it is far from universal.

Alyn??? Did you call in favours to get UK Insurance? I thought I fixed it , by adding you to my policy to ride my BMW you so hated. (MPH last issue)

God save the queen (and my pistons)

ARTHUR FARROW

A

alan wright

UK Breakdown recovery

Hi gentlemen, I'm bringing my B Rapide over from France to the UK for the Manx Grand Prix and cannot get Green Flag, the RAC, Direct Line etc to sell me 2 weeks breakdown/recovery assistance in the UK because I have a French address. My French Insurance company do not give breakdown cover on a machine over 20 years old under ANY circumstances. Can any one help please. There's a couple of pints of Okells in it for the person who comes up with a solution. Safe riding, shiny side up. Best regards Alan Wright.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi gentlemen, I'm bringing my B Rapide over from France to the UK for the Manx Grand Prix and cannot get Green Flag, the RAC, Direct Line etc to sell me 2 weeks breakdown/recovery assistance in the UK because I have a French address. My French Insurance company do not give breakdown cover on a machine over 20 years old under ANY circumstances. Can any one help please. There's a couple of pints of Okells in it for the person who comes up with a solution. Safe riding, shiny side up. Best regards Alan Wright.
Make sure you take your membership list with you.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Breakdown

Hello Alan,
What about taking a chance, Like we did in the old days.
I hope you won't have any trouble but if you carry The Riders List I am sure there will be an owner near to help you,
Stay off the motorways and don't travel at night might be good.
You can't drive far without being near to a Vin Owner !.

All the best Bill

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I'll enquire of the AA for you if you wish?

Hi Alan,

I'll ask the AA if they can suggest anything - I'm a UK member - if
you like, I'm going to the Manx GP again this year but wouldn't suggest sticking my number plate on your bike if you break down - that'd look odd when they had two bikes on the trailer with the same reg. number??

However, I'm taking a van this year - so send me a PM and you can have my email address for help/recovery whilst you are over here if you get stuck.

Hope to see you on the Island - I'm luckily staying with Tony East out at the Motorcycle Museum.

Stuart

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
If you have breakdown cover with a French service would they not extend cover for your trip ? I know the UK breakdown services do.

A

alan wright

UK Breakdown recovery

Thank you gentlemen for your concern. The problem is now resolved due to a good old British compromise which I would rather not disclose on this site but will be happy to reveal at the Waterfall in Glen Maye on Tues lunchtime if Big Pete Halls is arranging it again this year?? Once again, many thanks and there should be several Vins chained to the railings outside the Hydro on Douglas seafront if you fancy popping in for a pint !!! Best regards Alan

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Thank you gentlemen for your concern. The problem is now resolved due to a good old British compromise which I would rather not disclose on this site but will be happy to reveal at the Waterfall in Glen Maye on Tues lunchtime if Big Pete Halls is arranging it again this year?? Once again, many thanks and there should be several Vins chained to the railings outside the Hydro on Douglas seafront if you fancy popping in for a pint !!! Best regards Alan

Peter Hall isn’t going to the Manx GP this year, But I’m sure a few of us with Vincents on the Island will be turning up at the Watefall as usual on Tuesday lunchtime.