Insurance in the UK

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does any one know how to get insurance for a Vincent that is being shipping to the UK and ridden by its owner from America using a US drivers permit/License and the bike will have a US Reg and US plate on it.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
There was an earlier thread that was pretty pessimistic about that. If you can't find it I can look.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Bruce
I saw some of that a lot of mis information not much good , I hope maybe some one in the club in the UK would step up and take it on as a club project
maybe one of the officers might fine out how the club could maybe get insurance for us.
hope one of them reads this and digs a little for us.

thanks
Peter

G

Graham Smith

Hi Peter

The best person to ask would be the Club's Insurance advisor (AF).

Whilst he's not a regular on this forum (although he does visit from time to time), you can always get hold of him via e-mail and telephone.

However, whilst he advises the Club on insurance matters, I'm not sure if this extends to individual Members' queries, as he only has so much time to offer!

His e-mail address/telephone number is published in the front of MPH as Drawings Manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur Farrow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Insurance UK visitors

Ah this is a complex subject.

Essentially what was never a problem has become so because of the action of US lawyers. A motorcyclist visiting Uk 2 years ago had an accident and hurt somebody who is suing. In UK the settlement would have been £80k ish. BUT the action is being brought in a Florida court...and is estimated at $5m settlement + legal costs.

Im not sure the american motorcyclist is being very helpfull so making life difficault for the Insurer to defend.

Premium was about £100 and of course they dont do that many a year so the value of buiness is neglible.

Needless to say this is not a cool business model for a UK based Insurer pretty much all of which have assetts in USA.

Recently there has been an extension of the absolute ban on short term Bike policies for Americans and Canadians to Australians probably just got swept up in the overall mess. Insurers are not making money and are scarred.

Recently there has been an Indian rally here in UK/Ireland (dire organisation I hear) campsites in Ireland flooded..no B & Bs..no loos etc and some of the boys brought there bikes here. Latest I have is that cover was done by Motorcycle Express (NY?) although I'm surprised as not sure their policies are compliant here and therefore maybe illegal. Dunno for you to check and feed back to me please.

So dont blame the Insurance industy..blame the lawyers!!

ARTHUR FARROW

Insurance Broker to VOC, VOCSC and Insurance/liabilities advisor to VOC secretary

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Arthur
I had heard that , I know you can get a policy using the German auto club ,but its 3th party only .
I was just wondering if the club had looked into taking out a general policy
to cover overseas riders.
and will a overseas member be covered to ride the club single??? maybe a question we should not ask.
thanks
Peter

Arthur Farrow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is also ARISTA in Holland which i arranged for Robin Reynolds last year. Poor stuff though.

The club cannot take out an overseas riders policy and NO you should not ride the club A and expect insurance.

dont shoot the messenger..just the US lawyers.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
In the UK a rider or driver can get a green card extension to their insurance policy to ride in Europe , have you checked with your insurer for a similar scheme ? There must be an answer , I see a few US reg'd cars on UK roads during the tourist season.

Albervin

VOC Member
In the UK a rider or driver can get a green card extension to their insurance policy to ride in Europe , have you checked with your insurer for a similar scheme ? There must be an answer , I see a few US reg'd cars on UK roads during the tourist season.
Big difference when you come from somewhere where we use $ for money! As an Australian/English rider I had to use ALL favours to get insurance last year & I will keep renewing it even if I don't go for 10 years because if I let it lapse they won't want to know me! All because of one stoopid selfish bastard.:mad: