Installing a Front Disc Brake on a Series ‘C’

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think it is quite nicely done. He also appears to have a Walkernator and a Mikuni carb if you look at all photos. One thing I am curious about is how he/she keeps the brake mounting plate in position. Looking closely you can see an Allen head screw head in the brake stop but it doesn't appear to be clamping to the fork blade merely being anti rotation stop. Oh never mind I see he/she is using the fender bracket to stop the brake support from rotating down. Not sure what I think of the that. Also looking at this photo I see a pickup for an electronic speedometer, which is confirmed by looking at the handle bars and the magnet at the bottom of the wheel. Looks good.
Steven
View attachment 21101
I thought the same as you Steven, I would want to improve it somehow, I liked the bit about Sturdy prop stands, Who thinks this stuff up !!. I wondered if the disc was a finished job ??.
But as you say, Nice Bike. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Anybody know what Rotor that is ?, Looks neat, Not too big, I could be talked into that, For my old Comet,
If it was a bit down on power, Maybe some softer pads, Or a different master cylinder.
Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah softer pads! thats what I would like for Angela's XBR that disc is far too fierce. Do pads have a universal scale of hardness like spark plugs? (What do I know about disc brakes)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would have thought you wanted harder pads ?, Have they got over the wet problem yet, My K100 was bad, Sadly gone now.
And so is my special with Norton disc, Had to ride with one finger on the lever in bad rain.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just blown Steven's photo up, And can see the allan bolt head, I would want a bigger bolt coming to the outside with a washer as seen on other Vin' Disc Mods'.
Cheers Bill.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
That is exactly what I am referring too. I just find that a little lacking. I can see bracing the fender off of the caliper support, but it appears the fender brace is acting to prevent the caliper and its support from rotating due to gravity. I looked at all the other photos, unfortunately I don't see anything else preventing the caliper and its support succumbing to the irresistible call of gravity.
Steven

davidd

VOC Member
It looks like a difficult and problematic design to me...with no offense to those who like it. First, a single piston caliper and small disc will not stop the bike. The stock brakes are much better. I know this because my first brake was a single piston caliper and same size disc on both sides and a stock brake with Lightning plates could stop quicker. I would select brakes from any modern bike that has the capability of going 120 mph. For a Comet you could go less, a disc on one side, but I would not use less than a 12" disc with four pistons.

It is difficult to use a disc carrier with an off set because you have to find out what the off set is before hand and adapt the design to it. The early 1980's discs brakes like the one used generally have shallow off sets as well as smaller diameters, but you are stuck with a weak brake and 40 year old parts.

I am not sure why he made the caliper carrier so big and bulky. Mine was not really visible. My caliper was held closer to the fork leg. His being further down created the larger detour for the lower fender stay.

I made the caliper carrier out of a thin piece of 4130 and secured it with a bolt through the anchor stay hole. I felt this set up to be strong enough for the twin or single and effectively invisible.

I think if you put this much work into a disc brake conversion it should do more for you than the stock brakes!

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My Rapide runs the disc set up shown on ClassicBiker's photo (2012-09-14 103220). I think Dave Lambert engineered this conversion. I understand the discs are off an 80's 250 Honda, the master cylinder is similar to the one in another of CB's photos, mine's off a Yamaha, I think a 600 (Fazer?). The calipers are Grimeca; these are copies of the AP Lockheed Racing calipers from the 70's. They are faithful replicas (ish), such that they are allowed in some classes of Classic Racing. They take pads & pins off Norton and Triumphs, which gives some choice of pad grade. Mine have the hoses hanging like the washing lines in the photos. This set up could look a bit better with hoses of the right length accessing the top caliper banjo; hoses can also be ordered with a black sheathing outer. Standard Lockheed master cylinders for Tri/Nor are large bore which tended to give a 'wooden' feel. Sleeved master cylinders are available to eg 13mm, maybe from Norvil (?). I'm hoping to make a Brembo MS off a Guzzi V50 work for me.
Any chance of photos, Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
It's not a Walkernator although the principal looks the same in that he seems to have a dummy dynamo and a belt drive. However, the alternator itself is smaller and could be one of the permanent magnet ones which were fitted to some Kubota diggers etc. where it was used to keep the starter battery charged up. The problem with these, and some other alternators, is that they are permanent magnet type and produce all the power they can at all revs and get rid of the excess via a Zener diode. Essentially they are charging flat out the whole time.

davidd

VOC Member
I tried to find this in the forum, but could not. I thought this was a well designed disc brake set up by Big Ed:

Eddy Grew Disc.jpg

David