Installing footrest rubbers

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ok. what ingenious methods do you all employ to install new rubbers on the footrest hanger pegs..........? How much have you cursed in frustration and pinched skin..........:oops:........... I have been using a small amount of rubber grease and my press which works very well, but trying to do it manually by hand would be a killer................:rolleyes:..............Looking forward to some imaginative replies...........Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello greg, What about grinding a bit off the big lump on the end, I don't think it needs to be that big, But then it would be non stanard !!. Cheers Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Same method for any rubber tubing or similar product, put them in a receptacle containing boiling water for a couple of minutes then with a piece of rag in your hand get pushing and twisting, sounds like a dance craze from the sixties!

nkt267

VOC Member
I put a pin or nail through the end to let the air out as the rubber is pushed on, makes it a bit easier to fit..,John

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Compressed air with a blow gun fitted with a piece of 3/16 brake pipe fixed on will inflate it , works on hand grips too, both on + off.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes I put a pin hole in the end to help the compressed air escape. The rubber is very hard, and even when using the press, it takes a fair bit to start the rubber over the end of the hanger without it going sideways. The rubber grease helps a lot too.......must try the boiling water trick.

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
Yes I put a pin hole in the end to help the compressed air escape. The rubber is very hard, and even when using the press, it takes a fair bit to start the rubber over the end of the hanger without it going sideways. The rubber grease helps a lot too.......must try the boiling water trick.
Greg, try using KY gel,most well endowed young men have a tube on hand.The trouble with silicone grease is that it stays greasy,and the rubber rolls around with foot movement.The KY gel is water based and dries out after a while.

nkt267

VOC Member
The trouble with silicone grease is that it stays greasy,and the rubber rolls around with foot movement.The KY gel is water based and dries out after a while.
I was told to pour petrol into grips and footrest rubbers for the same reason..John

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I was told to pour petrol into grips and footrest rubbers for the same reason..John
I agree, petrol has always worked well for me. Same with handle bar grips. It makes everything slippery and then evaporates in a few minutes.. In a pinch, good ol' spit isn't so bad either.;)