ET: Engine (Twin) Installing ET92 Inner Roller Set on Mainshaft

royrobertson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Where can I find a copy of David's Book about Building a Competition Vincent Single? It sounds very interesting and could be a Christmas Present for Me.
Cheers Roy

craig

VOC Member
I suggest PM (private message) to davidd here at forum.
This great book is 475 large pgs, probably weighs a good bit.
20211019_BCVSC.jpg20211126_Pgs222&223.jpg20211126_Pgs306&307.jpg

Last edited:

royrobertson

VOC Member
Sorry Craig I have no idea what a PM is and how to do it. Could you please explain to my simple 77year old Brain?
Cheers Roy

craig

VOC Member
Certainly can
1.click on upper search button, a window will appear, at the lower "fill in bar" type in davidd ,
and hit enter.

2. the window will contain a bunch of davidd posts, click on his round avatar and a window will appear allowing a "start a conversation"

3.press this button and contact David.

Attachments

• daviddStart1.jpg
    daviddStart1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 6

craig

VOC Member
Or press members button on upper menu bar and david's name will be listed, just click his name and start conversation.

daviddStart2.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
Or hover your mouse icon on David's name in the logo which accompanies any of his postings and then it allows you to start a conversatrion with him.

craig

VOC Member
So my solution to ET92 install was to heat each individual roller set/inner race with an electric heat gun and used a hand held temp reader to satisfy me at 225F, grabbed hot bearing with gloved hand and dropped into place with no issues. I remembered to add shim on left drive side, no shim on timing side.
These ET92 roller cages were installed with the small end toward the flywheel to allow ease of future removal.

20211129_ET92HeatInstall.jpg

craig

VOC Member
The outer roller races have been installed with heating the case.
What is the tooling and advice on staking these outer races?
3lb hammer and a punch modified to an 1/8" wide wedge end?
Should the cases be hot?
Restake the original location?

Here is a fresh outer installed. You can see the original four stake indentations

20211129_ET92FinalStaking1.jpg
20211129_ET92Punch.jpg

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
Horrible concept really - BB (British Bodge) . At best I´d lightly bend/hammer the edge of the bore over the radius of the outer race. No need to drastically deform the circumference of the bore for preventing the race from walking into the crank. Well, this is the consequence of not having lipped outer races by design . . . .

Vic

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I am sure Vic will tell us what a terrible thing this is to do, but I can tell you that it has been done to probably more than 100 engines and never once caused an issue, and never once let a main bearing walk out of a case.
Those are 2 10-24 machine screws with c/s heads set in a position so that the c/s just reaches over the bearing race. The race then is ground to match the c/s with a dremel and blueing so that nice contact is made. A little thread locker applied and done.

Plus you don't have to smash the cases with a hammer and punch!

20180122_142359_HDR.jpg