Installing a Front Disc Brake on a Series ‘C’

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi:
I am now hot on the trail of installing a front disc brake on my Series C. I have seen the installation done by Justin MacKay Smith on his Prince, and was suitably impressed. I am now seeking Justin's e mail address and of course any information anyone wants to forward regarding this modification.
I would like to hide the master cylinder behind the existing steady plate and have heard of such an installation, so again I'm seeking knowledge.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
cable operated master cylinders have been around for a long time. Unfortunately most do not get good write-ups. If you have disc brakes(as i do) why try to disgiuse the patently blinking obvious? As was said in a section report a while ago " a pair of disc brakes appeared ,followed by my pal's shadow" No names + no pack drill. Roy.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
cable operated master cylinders have been around for a long time. Unfortunately most do not get good write-ups. If you have disc brakes(as i do) why try to disgiuse the patently blinking obvious? As was said in a section report a while ago " a pair of disc brakes appeared ,followed by my pal's shadow" No names + no pack drill. Roy.
HI:
I have had several Vincent riders say, "I don't see them," when I tell them to, "Take a look at my front turn signals."
Then I hit a turn signal switch that makes a row of LED's blink from a slot I milled in my Britax crash bar. They don't look at the bar usually, so I've hidden the obvious. Plus they don't stick out. I made a similar bar that goes across my license plate. The point is, I want to hide the master cylinder and shall go to a craftsman's length to do so. I'd also like to hide the disc behind some plate that says "drum brake" when you glance at it. I haven't figured out how to hide the caliper.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Most of the "systems" with said bellcranks are the ones with the bad press. I understand where you're coming from, if you could see a better picture of the "thing" in my avatar you will discover I am the master of "hidden" but it's still got to work efficiently. Roy.

vibrac

VOC Member
I'm with Roy its a disc brake why try and hide it? I believe many utilise a small 250 say Honda type calliper I would do it, but I shall wait to see the final result of the UK version of the "roadworthyness" legislation first, I could have enough fun removing my indicators and mikuni to worry about taking off my new disc brake

greg brillus

VOC Member
After the huge discussion we had about front end woes (suspension, that is) I do wonder whether having good stoppers on the front would exacerbate the problem, and make the problem worse. I have a good four leader on the front of the racer, but my front end dives under braking, as most all other bikes do.... Just a thought.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
And some people only fit one !, Which I would have thought may unbalance the forks ?, I have been talking myself out of that Mod' for years, But as you know , I like a standard bike !!. Cheers Bill.