Installing a Front Disc Brake on a Series ‘C’

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Do you have a router? If the alloy plates are very close to size.... attach them to the pattern, and run a flush trim bit around them. Then remove the pattern and knock the edges off with a rounding over bit. High speed. thin cuts and wear a jock. The rounding over part is easy, the trimming part can be dangerous if trying to remove too much material.

Since you are a wood guy...

Thanks for that,
Yes I`ve got a Router, actually got eight at the moment & that made me look on Youtube to check the possibilty of using one.
I made the first pattern out of ply then used that to make the first plastic one which I cleaned up by hand & used that to make the second one using a bearing guided cutter to follow it.
Then once I`d checked the fit I used the same setup to router the Aluminium brackets.
I used double sided tape to attach them each time but should really have put the router in a table to get better results instead of free hand like I did.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Just cut them from an old ice cream box to the exact shape and take them to the water cutters I just got a pair of plates done for Ben's k100 racer in 8mm alloy 4 days £20 job done edged like mirrors

You`re lucky Tim,
My Wife asked a local firm about doing it & they said a minimum of £60 if they could be bothered.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Once you have cut the shape, And cleaned it up with wet and dry etc, One of the best things I did was get a
Buffing wheel, About 6 or 8" across, And some Special soap, Fitted it to my wall mounted grinder,
Anything in Alloy can be made to look better than new !. Cheers Bill.

Got a decent polishing machine Bill, only problem I have is when it tugs what you`re polishing out of you hand & catapults it onto the floor.
Taken to putting a folded up dust sheet on the floor to soften the landing.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Decided to persevere with finishing the brackets & they didn`t come out too bad, though I did spend about 5-6 hours doing it, lucky I`m not paying myself.
IMG_20190331_151029.jpg
IMG_20190331_151056.jpg
IMG_20190331_145046.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
You`re lucky Tim,
My Wife asked a local firm about doing it & they said a minimum of £60 if they could be bothered.
Cheers
Dave
Try H2O profiling at Kimbolton or HBH at Kettering (and thats just my area) best is to walk in and ask with the pattern in your hand

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Just found th
is.

Hi Bill,
This was one of the videos I'd watched, maked me want a milling table.
I've got a decent pillar drill & thought I'd be able to muddle along if I could fit it with a milling table, there's loads of cheap Chinese ones about but they've got pretty small capacities.
Cheers
Dave

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Hi Bill,
This was one of the videos I'd watched, maked me want a milling table.
I've got a decent pillar drill & thought I'd be able to muddle along if I could fit it with a milling table, there's loads of cheap Chinese ones about but they've got pretty small capacities.
Cheers
Dave
The machine shown in the video is a milling machine with a collet chuck. A drilling machine doesn't usually have a drawbar to hold the drill chuck in place. Side milling involves very different forces from vertical drilling. The side forces can cause the drill chuck to work itself out of the spindle. I definitely would not recommend it. Having said that, I've seen many jury rigged jobs work that I probably wouldn't have attempted!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I agree about a normal Press Drill, But I do like different ways to do a job, I have bought one of those Magnetic Drill Machines + a Cheap XY table, So it might work for me ?.
I bought it to bore my Comet Flywheels to 560 cc, After welding some of the hole !!, That should be a Laugh !!.
After I mess it all up, They should make good Door Stops !.
Cheers Bill.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I agree about a normal Press Drill, But I do like different ways to do a job, I have bought one of those Magnetic Drill Machines + a Cheap XY table, So it might work for me ?.
I bought it to bore my Comet Flywheels to 560 cc, After welding some of the hole !!, That should be a Laugh !!.
After I mess it all up, They should make good Door Stops !.
Cheers Bill.

Bill,
Perhaps we should start a Motorbike modification company, what about Bodget & Scarper as a name.