Installing a Front Disc Brake on a Series ‘C’

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I tried to find this in the forum, but could not. I thought this was a well designed disc brake set up by Big Ed:
David
Dear David,
Most of the leg work to sort out what discs etc was done by Brian Chapman who is probably best known for his giant killing exploits with his Might Mouse sprinter. I can't claim to be involved with the design as I worked from dimensioned sketches that I was loaned. I made some drawings with a CAD package to check dimensions and were easier to work with. I also developed a cone template as I was fabricating the speedo drive cover from sheet metal. It is well thought out as most of the work can be done with hand tools and there are only a few parts that need machining. several people are using this setup. No original parts were harmed in this modification. I find it works well. There are other benefits too besides good braking.

druridge

VOC Member
I notice on mine, the wide touring bottom mudguard bracket clears the calipers.
I still dont like the hose routing. Its occurred to me that if I ran the hoses from the upper caliper banjo bleeding might be a bit more of a challenge; may need to do it with the calipers loose.

Attachments

• P1010420.JPG
    P1010420.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 53
  • P1010421.JPG
    P1010421.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 51

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I notice on mine, the wide touring bottom mudguard bracket clears the calipers.
I still dont like the hose routing. Its occurred to me that if I ran the hoses from the upper caliper banjo bleeding might be a bit more of a challenge; may need to do it with the calipers loose.

Is it poss', To swap side to side to get the pipes going out the top ?. Cheers Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Is it poss', To swap side to side to get the pipes going out the top ?. Cheers Bill.
Good suggestion by Bill. Also in the photographs it looks as if there is an alternative input that has a blanking plug installed that wouldput the hose at the top.
Calipers can be really awkward to bleed on some bikes. I've sometimes removed them from bikes and turned them to get the hose or bleed nipple at the top to get the last bit of air out.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes Dru' said he was thinking of that, But I think he will still want new hoses.
I like your setup Eddy, But they look a bit too big for me, The 250cc Honda ones sort of blend in more, Maybe not spotted by them's that know too much !. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am an old fool, I have a standard Norton front / disc / caliper etc under the bench, From when I went to a Norvil one, I think it will go on the front, I Re drilled one with Vincent centre holes I think the Norton one has 4, When I fitted one on the back of my Special. Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes Dru' said he was thinking of that, But I think he will still want new hoses.
I like your setup Eddy, But they look a bit too big for me, The 250cc Honda ones sort of blend in more, Maybe not spotted by them's that know too much !. Cheers Bill.
I know what you mean Bill but as you have probably worked out I'm more more interested in function than how it looks. Do you remember the twin disc conversion that Paul Dunstall offered for sale on his Norton bikes? It was really tidy. I think the calipers were cast in with the alloy fork leg and it used two smallish disc. Quite neat but I not sure how good it was.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When I was young and silly, I thought I would drill the rear disc, When I had done half of them , I thought
I wish I had not started this !. Cheers Bill.BillThomas-CustomVincent-2-2012.jpg

druridge

VOC Member
Well observed; there is another potential way in for fluid at the top of the Grimeca calipers. You can also see the tops of the bleed nipples behind the bolts blanking them off. Inside from the hose banjos (at bottom of calipers) are another pair of holes, I thought these hadnt been machined but they are actually blanked off with shallow headed bolts - so yes, these calipers are reversible.
On a couple of occasions I have even completely removed the brake systems from other bikes before bleeding brakes. I also regularly loosen off calipers & hoses etc so I can help bubbles out of the system.
I remember the Dunstall disc set-up on a friends Featherbed Commando racer. We had some issues with heat dissipation; its a long time ago but I remember the damping going off in the forks. The (very) small disc rotors got really warm; I guess that was at the root of it all? However good (or bad) the original Commando set-up was in the 70's, Norvil have got the hang of it now.