Installing a Front Disc Brake on a Series ‘C’

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Get yourself another home address in Bavaria or so, at my place if you like. Then one of our TÜV inspectors will easily assist in getting your mods entered in the vehicle papers and later you return your bike "officially" to your town. Costs are moderate but needs a bit of organization. Federalism has its quirks in times . . . .

Vic
Wow! Just wait till Wales and Scotland get different MOT standards....Help!

erik

VOC Member
i did nearly what Vic recommends with our Triumph Bonneville.I sold it to a friend in Rheinland-Pfalz.then the bike had TÜV and I bought it back to Hessen.This costs about 200€ incuding two new licenseplates,but is the only way it works.regards Erik

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I like the idea, But worry over, Just one Disc, Upsetting the steering, More weight one side ?.
I have a Norton one on my Special, But that's Tele' forks.
Cheers Bill.
Dear Bill,
Quite a few bikes just had one disc fitted, a Norton Commando is one that springs to mind. My early Commando had the drum front brake but I borrowed my brothers Interstate with a single disc and it didn't seem to be a problem on that.
A Comet being lighter than a twin is probably OK with a single disc. Someone in the Coventry section has a single disc Comet and is happy with it.
Another reason to fit one rather than two disc is that you don't have the problem of having to arrange something to mount the speedometer drive. This was probably the most problematic thing to do when I fitted the twin discs . It is easier if you have a bit of fabrication/machining skill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Dear Bill,
Quite a few bikes just had one disc fitted, a Norton Commando is one that springs to mind. My early Commando had the drum front brake but I borrowed my brothers Interstate with a single disc and it didn't seem to be a problem on that.
A Comet being lighter than a twin is probably OK with a single disc. Someone in the Coventry section has a single disc Comet and is happy with it.
Another reason to fit one rather than two disc is that you don't have the problem of having to arrange something to mount the speedometer drive. This was probably the most problematic thing to do when I fitted the twin discs . It is easier if you have a bit of fabrication/machining skill.
Thank's Eddy, The speedo is no problem, I use push bike ones, I don't go very fast !.
It's just that Girdraulics give me nightmares. Cheers Bill.
Vibrac, That's what I was thinking, The Honda 250 should be enough and look neat. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
People who care about such things and dont have a pile of old bikes waiting outside the workshop might like to consider push bike disc brakes and the insides of standard drums.
now a clever guy.......

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
People who care about such things and dont have a pile of old bikes waiting outside the workshop might like to consider push bike disc brakes and the insides of standard drums.
now a clever guy.......
I never thought of that, But I think the brake dust would upset it, Good idea for a dummy drum with a disc on the other side.Cheers Bill.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I think it is quite nicely done. He also appears to have a Walkernator and a Mikuni carb if you look at all photos. One thing I am curious about is how he/she keeps the brake mounting plate in position. Looking closely you can see an Allen head screw head in the brake stop but it doesn't appear to be clamping to the fork blade merely being anti rotation stop. Oh never mind I see he/she is using the fender bracket to stop the brake support from rotating down. Not sure what I think of the that. Also looking at this photo I see a pickup for an electronic speedometer, which is confirmed by looking at the handle bars and the magnet at the bottom of the wheel. Looks good.
Steven
s-l1600.jpg