HB: Handlebars Indicator switch

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
There’s not a lot of room for switches on my Rapide C’s handlebars. The
indicator switch position on the L makes the decompression lever a little difficult to reach.
Obviously not originally designed for indicators but it helps to have them.
Seems to be a classic style switch fitted for these and light dip/main on the other side.
I could try and overlap the switch onto the lever bracket to make more room.
Just wondering if there’s any other alternatives for switchgear.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 76F3A13E-5304-42A0-B927-26DB39694798.jpeg
    76F3A13E-5304-42A0-B927-26DB39694798.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 69

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you're not two bothered about originality, see if you can scrounge up a couple of old brass lever perches (if chromed get it stripped off) cut one up and braze it to the other, tidy and re-chrome so you have the clutch lever and decompressor lever on the same perch.

vibrac

VOC Member
I junk the lot and get a cheap multi switch: horn indicators head light dip all on one LH unit' and at under 10 quid you cant grumble
If you are leaving the "just as it came from Stevenage" mantra for a particular bike then leave it completly. If you are not stick your hands out, I do if I have the Flash on the road.
1596970093508.png

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sometimes you can modify the switch base to slide further outward.......not so bad if the switch is a repo one and not some genuine expensive item that you would not want to modify. I put indicators on my Rapide years ago using a later Miller switch that was from some kind of Brit scooter........you see them from time to time for sale. Hand signals do not mix with modern traffic these days.........Gives you some added safety I guess.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ignoring originality, have a look around a bike breaker if there is one local to you or spot something on a bike that might do and have a look at eBay. I got my switches on eBay, in this case, they were from a Triumph from a few years back. The original clutch and v/lifter are still fitted.
20200809_121817.jpg

20200809_121843.jpg

danno

Non-VOC Member
I junk the lot and get a cheap multi switch: horn indicators head light dip all on one LH unit' and at under 10 quid you cant grumble
If you are leaving the "just as it came from Stevenage" mantra for a particular bike then leave it completly. If you are not stick your hands out, I do if I have the Flash on the road.
View attachment 36579

Thanks, looks convenient.
Could do with a brake lever/switchgear cluster in one as three seperate items is the the problem.
It looks wider than the switch I have which is 35mm. A longer, straighter decompression lever would be needed.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Thanks, looks convenient.
Could do with a brake lever/switchgear cluster in one as three seperate items is the the problem.
It looks wider than the switch I have which is 35mm. A longer, straighter decompression lever would be needed.

Danno,
Maybe you could look at BMW levers/switchgear, I`m sure someone on here has them on his Vin.
Would have to be a model without a hydraulic clutch though.
Cheers
Dave

PS. I`m in the process of fitting an Enfield Minda switch which is very similar to Vibrac`s suggestion.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Here are some Lucas/BSA/Triumph integrals I sold earlier this year they came off an Egli quite often on evil bay

1596990206345.jpeg

b'knighted

VOC Member
Danno,
Maybe you could look at BMW levers/switchgear, I`m sure someone on hear has them on his Vin.
Would have to be a model without a hydraulic clutch though.
Cheers
Dave
It's worse than that - you have to source antiques from before they incorporated brake master cylinders.
I fitted late 70's R series levers when they were still current. The switches were a bit fragile and finnicky with gloves on. The twin cable, bevel gear, chain pull throttle is absolutely brilliant and the levers and perches are solid. I then went on to fit K series switchgear. These are designed for use by glove wearing motorcylists but have separate non latching indicator switches with a cancel button. The K series switchgear is not a direct fit on R levers but the non-hydraulic K series clutch lever appears usable.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Danno,

Check out Paul Geoff's offerings.