Indian made tanks for Ariel Square Four

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all, I am looking for a Petrol Tank for an 57 Ariel Square Four, does anyone have or heard of any feedback about quality or fit of the Indian made Squarriel Tanks?

Kev

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Hi, for what it's worth my experience as follows: Ordered a 1950 red Hunter tank chromed and painted from India. I advised all measurements of my old tank. After a few weeks it arrived in a strong plated tin box well packed. On opening it looked great however the 4 bolt fixings did not line up, the filler cap entry was too tight and the centre "dash" was a different size to my original and the gold lining was slightly askew. That said I was offered full refund if returned at my expense or a refund to cover modifications which I accepted.
The tank was well formed from 18 gauge steel with reasonable chrome and good paint but let down by poor quality welding but it did not leak. I was able to cut and refit the threaded plates underneath the tank where the new welding did not affect the chrome and grind out the thick steel filler neck. A new dash came with the tank. Also the badge fixing holes were slightly out of line so one screw and silicone used.
End result looked ok but certainly not show quality. I would buy any Ariel tank in plain steel in future. I have not seen the trader advertising since.
I have now ordered a Norton Dominator tank in Chrome from "Pummy" on ebay who seems well established with good customer comment. Due to the strap fixing I trust the fettling required will be minimal! Watch this space!

len.c

Non-VOC Member
H i Kev, just read your thread on Indian manufactured petrol tanks, similar experience to mine, I have a 1947 Red Hunter which is my favourite , I decided that I would treat it to a new tank, well anybody that knows me would confirm that I am financially cautious in the extreme, well long story shortened, I found just the thing on Evil bay, made contact with the advertiser who confirmed he could supply the tank as I requested , chromium plated but not not lined or painted as I preferred to do this myself, any way I paid by P/P and sat back in excited anticipation ( almost as I would imagine an expectant parent would ) in due course the UPS van pulled up outside and the promised tank had arrived, so far all was looking good, really well packed,and the chrome plating was acceptable, considering the whole deal inc delivery was less than the cost of plating in the UK , however something in my head said better try it see if it fits, at this stage things took a dramatic down turn , nothing fitted. I contacted the seller and explained the circumstances and suggested I would return the tank at his cost and that I would expect a full refund, to which he replied, he had never before recieved any complaints and he would be happy to send me another new tank on reciept of my payment, after what in modern speak is called a robust exchange of views ,my pointing out that as I already had a new tank that didn't fit why would I want to buy another that also wouldn't fit, he suggested that I send him all the correct dimensions and as many pictures as possible he would make me a new tank to my dimensions and post it to me for just the cost of the delivery, well that is what I did, and sure enough I recieved another new tank, which in fact fitted o/k, so all's well that ends well, apart from the fact in the meantime I had restored my original tank, which is what i should have don in the first place So I now have three petrol tanks so do I look for two more Red Hunters or put the spares in the attic just in case Cheers len.

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
H i Kev, just read your thread on Indian manufactured petrol tanks, similar experience to mine, I have a 1947 Red Hunter which is my favourite , I decided that I would treat it to a new tank, well anybody that knows me would confirm that I am financially cautious in the extreme, well long story shortened, I found just the thing on Evil bay, made contact with the advertiser who confirmed he could supply the tank as I requested , chromium plated but not not lined or painted as I preferred to do this myself, any way I paid by P/P and sat back in excited anticipation ( almost as I would imagine an expectant parent would ) in due course the UPS van pulled up outside and the promised tank had arrived, so far all was looking good, really well packed,and the chrome plating was acceptable, considering the whole deal inc delivery was less than the cost of plating in the UK , however something in my head said better try it see if it fits, at this stage things took a dramatic down turn , nothing fitted. I contacted the seller and explained the circumstances and suggested I would return the tank at his cost and that I would expect a full refund, to which he replied, he had never before recieved any complaints and he would be happy to send me another new tank on reciept of my payment, after what in modern speak is called a robust exchange of views ,my pointing out that as I already had a new tank that didn't fit why would I want to buy another that also wouldn't fit, he suggested that I send him all the correct dimensions and as many pictures as possible he would make me a new tank to my dimensions and post it to me for just the cost of the delivery, well that is what I did, and sure enough I recieved another new tank, which in fact fitted o/k, so all's well that ends well, apart from the fact in the meantime I had restored my original tank, which is what i should have don in the first place So I now have three petrol tanks so do I look for two more Red Hunters or put the spares in the attic just in case Cheers len.
Can you name the supplier? It seems he managed to replicate your measurements whereas mine did not for the Red Hunter. Regarding the Norton tank I referred to it arrived as advised by "Pummey" on time to my measurements with excellent chrome and is that good that one of my friends is ordering two tanks from him. Will advise quality when received, Pummy has very good feedback on ebay. I have no connections with this supplier just a good result.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
I will look back and let you know,asap as a matter of interest has your Ariel tank got the instruments set in a panel on the tank? because this was where the biggest problems were with the first tank i received, and also the new panel which was supplied with tank was incorrect in as much that the fitting for the wander light was incorrect, I actually had my original instrument panel rechromed , at an exorbitant cost, but having said that if you know the standard of work by Pummey I would consider dealing with them but send as many pictures and relative dimensions as you can, cheers len.c

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
I will look back and let you know,asap as a matter of interest has your Ariel tank got the instruments set in a panel on the tank? because this was where the biggest problems were with the first tank i received, and also the new panel which was supplied with tank was incorrect in as much that the fitting for the wander light was incorrect, I actually had my original instrument panel rechromed , at an exorbitant cost, but having said that if you know the standard of work by Pummey I would consider dealing with them but send as many pictures and relative dimensions as you can, cheers len.c
Yes Len the panel was in the tank and I had already had my original chromed -agreed expensive- but it did not fit the new tank! Their one supplied with the tank was a poor fit but I used it. My main fitting issue was that the 4 fixing bolt positions were misaligned.
Regards Pummey the Norton tank is fine the two other tanks about to be ordered will be of more interest because the fixings are bolted whereas the Norton is a strap.
Good luck