Indian (Made in India) Tank experience ?

Spqreddie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear All,
any experience with indian tanks? i remebmer having read something here in the past,

I'm surprised by the amount of the supplier of Vincent tanks in India! (seems more than 15!)
they are probably being made by a few factory (or by the same factory!) and most of the seller are probably just reseller.

There are enormus price differences, but given that probably the quality or the tank is not going to be great anyway, i would tend to think that it might be better to buy a cheap one as probaly some fixing job has to be done anyway.

Those seems the less expensive:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3a731e3af3
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW...44?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3f1f04db5c
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260848421851?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261273316309?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any experinece to share? The back of the tank seems not ending in the correct way, the way those tanks merge into the back of the UFM at the junction with the springs boxes, but may be is a matter of pictire perspective.
I know is not original but should be ok as base for a modified tank job.

Thanks,
Edmondo

davidd

VOC Member
I had an owner bring me an Indian made tank to see if I could make it into a Vincent tank. The shape was so different and the petrol tap bungs were at such an angle that I did not think I could make it right for less than the price of a stock tank. He used it as delivered and it cracked within a short time. He ended up buying an original tank.

I do not know how many manufactures there are but I would note that the last time an owner asked me about an Indian made tank, the manufacturer specified 18 gauge and that in Canada, where the owner lived, they had a specification of 16 gauge thickness for motorcycle gas tanks. The last steel tank I made was 16 gauge also. I have always thought that the bottom of the Vincent tank was a very well-designed item and that many owners underestimate the effort that went into making the tank perform so well.

David

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The ones I have seen in Australia all have the petrol tap threads too far from vertical and the front mounts needed moving as well. All the same I have used one successfully. By the way, some years ago a talented man in the U.S.A. replicated the bottom tank panels, and they are a bloody sound design. If he reads this I hope he will say hello. I seem to remember sending him a Twin generator lug casting.

ksbundy

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Be careful, I bought one and it was so far out that the oil filler would not go through the tank. I was lucky that I was travelling to India so I carried it back and got a better one which fits.. The "factory" that made the tanks consisted of a shed with 2 young lads tapping out tanks. The boss welded them up (he would have been the best welder that i have ever seen). he was making all sorts of tanks with some original tanks as a pattern. He had a jig for the mounts for the vincent tank but didnt have anything for the oil filler hole. I gave him the dimensions. I really wanted a "cafe racer" tank so I bought an english wheel and made my own.
Ken.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The Spares Co lists unpainted tanks T1/6AS/I/U (GBP 421 for members) that should be satisfactory. I believe they sent a jig to their supplier in India to help with quality.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Thanks Ken,
interestin piece of info!
so do you think this little "factory" supplies all the different stockist that then sell on e-bay? or do you think there are different makers?
Given they have now the correct dimensions they seems to be the most "pro", do you know wich is the stockist on e-bay that resells their products? or if they sell directly?
Thanks!
Edmondo

Be careful, I bought one and it was so far out that the oil filler would not go through the tank. I was lucky that I was travelling to India so I carried it back and got a better one which fits.. The "factory" that made the tanks consisted of a shed with 2 young lads tapping out tanks. The boss welded them up (he would have been the best welder that i have ever seen). he was making all sorts of tanks with some original tanks as a pattern. He had a jig for the mounts for the vincent tank but didnt have anything for the oil filler hole. I gave him the dimensions. I really wanted a "cafe racer" tank so I bought an english wheel and made my own.
Ken.

ksbundy

Active Forum User
VOC Member
No, I think there are a lot of little factories making tanks so that is why the quality and shapes differ so much. I would still not buy another tank from India for another bike and I will keep the one I have as a spare "just in case". I think before I bought another tank I would like to see it and try it on the bike with the option of returning it (without shipping charges) if it was not what I wanted. The person I bought from deals as Royal Crusaders. He is a nice fellow and I have bought other parts of him since.
Ken

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have bought a tank like this from a dealer in the Nethetrlands.
he told me that a dutch section member had checked all his tanks and their fitting was great. Well it certainly wasn't cause the tank was to narrow at the end and the ears for the through bar and spacer at the end were not present. I opened up the rear to fit over the UFM hydraulically and made up the metal ears myself.
I like the shape of the tank very much and the front ears needed a little bending no more.
All together about 2 hours if fiddling.
BUT i was building a Comet special and the obviously wrong angle of the fuel tap bosses did not matter to me. I am sure this is a very different story with a twin and rear carb / inspection cap / metal fuel line banjo arrangement.
Bernd

vibrac

VOC Member
The Spares Co lists unpainted tanks T1/6AS/I/U (GBP 421 for members) that should be satisfactory. I believe they sent a jig to their supplier in India to help with quality.

No I have seen the Jig recently so it is in the UK under UK control

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
I just learned this weekend that an owner here in the States bought an original Vincent tank on Ebay. When it arrived it was a painted Indian made tank with all the obvious flaws including no steady tabs underneath. Please be careful!

David