Indian (Made in India) Tank experience ?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
How much did the bottom resemble a standard tank, in terms of stiffening creases, etc.?

It has been several years since I saw the tank. I remember the bottom as being inadequate, but I was under the impression that the bottom of the Vincent tank was highly engineered to prevent cracking. However, Robert Watson has had great luck with alloy street tanks, which takes some air out of my sails. I would just note that the TT tanks were often made using the bottom of a stock tank. I would also note that the Factory did not seem partial to alloy tanks. When you take this and the addition of the tabs for the steady piece into consideration, I suspect they had some serious experiences with cracking early on and this influenced the tank design and material selection.

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
You have to wonder how they decided where to put the mounting lugs and oil filler neck opening. I can understand that they didn't want to buy a UFM on Ebay, but working with someone in the UK or elsewhere to get an accurate jig would enable tanks that fit and positive recommendations and taking over the Vin tank world monopoly! Sort of a Dr. Evil For Good.

van Ginneke

Non-VOC Member
If the overall shape of the tank is o.k. then a 'solution' could be to have them supplying the tank with all the mounting bits of metal not welded on and the oil filler hole not done.

alscomet

VOC Member
I will let you all know my experiences in ordering a Velocette Venom Tank from India,I just pushed the boat out and placed an order through E Bay for a tank. £100,00 + £55 postage,My thoughts are even if the lugs are in the wrong place and the tank is not as good as the photographs its got to be better than a 50 year old tank full of tin worm and tank liner so I will take a few photos when (and if) it arrives,inform you of the fit etc.Fingers Crossed

Last edited:

daevideo

VOC Member
You have to wonder how they decided where to put the mounting lugs and oil filler neck opening. I can understand that they didn't want to buy a UFM on Ebay, but working with someone in the UK or elsewhere to get an accurate jig would enable tanks that fit and positive recommendations and taking over the Vin tank world monopoly! Sort of a Dr. Evil For Good.

Hello, I am that Dr Evil. One of my UFM's has been with let me say one of the better craftsmen in India. I have discussed the subtleties of the Vincent design with the Indians as I myself am Indian being born in the UK who has to be in India regularly As for the stiffening profiles on the bottom of the Vincent tank they serve two criteria: one to give rigidity, but the other came about I believe came about when resonant frequencies generated drumming sounds so the plane surface was broken up by these stiffening chines. This word was explained to me at University when describing a Coca Cola can as part of the extrusion process was blown into the mould. There are a lot of existing problems about the curves being incorrect, the location of the rear plugs - to many problems leadinf to tight fixing into the existing locating points of The Vincent leading to cracking; poor understanding of central points - like the oil filler neck and the amount of tolerance being needed to cater to variations of the UFM. All in all the Indians fail to reverse engineer the shape and design of the tank onto the fixed locations of the bike. They are good craftsmen but need someone there on the ground who knows Vincent. I'll do my best to help anyone who has any fabrication requirements. my email: daevideo AT gmail DOT com.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Dear All,
I would like to know if now (5 years after this thread was posted), there is any new conformed experience about the best Indian made tanks, on e-bay you have prices from 100 Pounds up.
I would need anyway to modify the tank, as i am looking into building a large capacity tank, but at least if i buy an already made tank, i could cut off and use the bottom part and the UFM/Oil tank tunnel.
If anybody as recent experience with a particular e-bay seller, please let me know!
Thanks!!

vibrac

VOC Member
The consensus seem to be that people have found that the main curves and body are not too bad its the bracket positions that are a bit askew if you are cutting it about you should be on a winner my feeling is that if you can see that slight downward curve on the bottom edge sides at the rear then someone has tried hard so its general body should be fine.