C: Clutch Increasing clutch lift for multiplate clutches

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A clutch nut can come undone ;
A it is not torked well, or doest keep it due to soft spacer shims behind the bearing : E76
B the little rotational movements possible due to a sloppy spline fit. Clutch centre- on axle G3
More or less always the case

Always i put a bit locktite there 243.

Anyway not much to do during these days....

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
The installing of a multiple clutch is a retrograde step, it should be understood that the the first 998cc HRD motorcycles, the Series A Twins, had multiplate clutches that were found to be inadequate, so a brilliant Australian engineer, Phil Irving designed a revolutionary alternative to that archaic and troublesome device, the single plate assisted servo clutch, as John Appleton states, it is the only clutch that you will ever need.
My understanding is the clutch was not designed by PEI, much as I revere the man's design brilliance. According to what I have read, the clutch was a PCV design thought but the detail was drawn by another member of the drawing office. I'm pretty sure I read this in PEI's autobiography.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes it amuses me that even with the C 45 spring tang in place in the castellated mainshaft nut and a slot in the mainshaft, that the lot still seems to loosen itself. Vincent's explanation of the shim inboard of the input bearing could be a culprit, and/or the spline in the C 3 carrier moving.........It is odd, but yes the nut should be tight, same as the ESA nut should be even more tight. when it does come loose, this is the most common cause of oil leaking into the clutch area, especially when the primary fills with oil as it bypasses the stock outer bearing. The oil level in the primary does not need to be much higher than the level plug to start loosing oil from the generator opening, even with all the correct slinger and ET 164 in place, with minimal clearance between the two ........... :)