• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

    Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

    You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

    If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

    If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Importing a bike into Western Australia.



Can anyone give me advice on importing my vinney into Perth? If I can pull it off I would live down there for 3 years then return back to the u.k with the bike.
Who do I need to contact and what import / export duties would I have to pay etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Here the official rules:
in addition, note the quarantine stuff....they take it very seriously
There are companies that will handle all the paperwork for you and get the bike over here safely- that is probably the best option. Msg me if you need some contacts. I suspect you wont pay duty/taxes for import if its owned by you and for private use. Though rego is another matter.
I'm not sure what language they speak in Perth....I'm from the eastern states, but Ive heard strange things about them!


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
You must have owned and used the bike for at least 2 or 3 years I think to escape duties & taxes. Have you ever considered moving to the Perth much nearer to you? Much cheaper!!! Good luck and don't
forget to bring a phrase book..........


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Also, you may have to pay "stamp duty" (up to 3 percent of the market value of the bike) to the State government when you register the bike - look up the WA RTA website to check on this. If you do have to pay, you can of course adjust the market value of a Vincent according to what you think its worth. However, if you reduce this, it can conceivably have an impact on your bike insurance should the machine be damaged. On the subject of insurance (for the vehicle) check out the WA motoring association (its called the NRMA in NSW) as they do offer cheaper insurance for older bikes.

Naturally, when you pay the lump of "stamp duty" to the State for no reason other than they can take it, you'll feel so much better knowing that its not called "tax".

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Photos from the 2022 North American Rally

Photos from the 2022 Far Far North Rally

Photos from the 2022 Annual Rally

Photos from the 2022 French Rally