Imperial/ Inch Tool Sets, Spanners, Wrenches,...

VincAustria

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
British Vincent guys,

I am from Austria. We have only metric tools in Austria. For my future Vincent Comet I need a set of FIRST QUALITY tools / spanners, wrenches only in imperial/ inch system.

Does somebody know a good supplier in GB, Europe ?

What is your experience ?

Is a high quality set available on the market that covers almost all nuts and bolts and screws and sizes of the Comet ? Only highest quality - because I don't want to damage the nuts and bolts....of my future Comet.

Please advise (advice) - Thanks.

:)-- Helmut

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My advice would be to look on ebay for old stock or little used old British brands like Britool , Gordon , Williams etc. Also , there were some German brands that had Imperial sizes in their range. I have found entire new old stock imperial socket sets on ebay at bargain prices.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Try Snap-on tools too - second hand on ebay best.

Hi Helmut,

Snap-on tools will last you a life time, and with your exchange rate currently are outstanding value when you buy second hand off ebay from the USA even when you have paid shipping and tax if you get caught out.

I got a set of "crows foot" spanners which are helpful for torquing down the head(s) in situ using an offset torque wrench - the catalogue price was c€150 and I paid €50 all in (shipping inc).

I have a "Kamasa" socket set I have had for 20 years and have found it outstanding quality too - never damaged anything and never broken a piece of the set, I have one or two of their other tools too and have generally been very happy.

Stuart

rapcom

VOC Member
Crow's Feet ?

I have never found any Crowsfoot spanners in BSW or BSF.
Please tell us the make and source !

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Was just about to say the same thing !! I never knew Snap On made imperial sizes recently , in the past they have but I've never managed to find any.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Since the head nuts are the same dimension AF as a spark plug, the Yank 13/16" crows foot will do the job.

rapcom

VOC Member
Purely in the interest of accuracy, I believe that the nominal AF of the headnuts is 0.820", whereas 13/16" is 0.812. A 13/16" AF spanner will probably work, given the sloppy fit of most spanners, and the fact that most headnuts have lost a few thou due to polishing.
I just tried a 13/16" AF spanner on some (unpolished, original) headnuts, and the spanner fitted some pairs of flats and not others. Manufacturing tolerances will also play a part, of course.
Definitely worth trying.