• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

    Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

    You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

    If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

    If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

I'm a new Vincent owner by default, my fathers legacy


New Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Please can any one advise on a good Insurance policy ?
The bike has no MOT and also no road tax.
It has been garaged for approx 25 years.
We have intentions of MOT ing and taxing the bike, in 2013.
Is it possible to attain insurance with out MOT and Tax for the bike ?

P.S. bike is immaculate condition :)

I look forward to hearing from you
:D Jacquie


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Certainly in the UK you can and should insure your Vincent.
Choose a specialist classic insurer like Footman James (there are others) who will give you a discount if you are a member of the Vincent Owners Club.If you are going to keep the bike I would urge you to join as the wealth of information and help is priceless..John


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Welcome to Vincent ownership..I acquired mine in 1986 the same way..Riding & maintaining your Vincent will keep you in touch with your father - and there are many lessons to be learned while doing so, some easy...some difficult. You will learn that the Vincent fraternity is full of gentlemen who are extremely generous with their knowledge..Join the VOC...attend rallies and ride the hell out of the bike!


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
If you are under 25 years old you will not be able to get any cover in the UK.

Carroll Nash and Footman James will not insure you.


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
I would expect anyone to be able to insure the machine as a valuable item even if road traffic insurance is unavailable to the under 25s.As the machine needs recommissioning before MoT and tax, it can't be ridden at the moment anyway.
I'd add Peter James insurance to the list.


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
the correct term is laid up insurance all the classic insurers do it
Ordinary road bike insurance is not geared for laid up, after 10 years of using it I found in the small print "only 50% of agreed value if no valid MOT" not a good thing to find with 2 classic road racers on the policy its also worth checking next year when compulsory MOT may not apply...........
Warning! This thread is more than 10yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.