F: Frame Ikon damper

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have found a way to help improve the ride on these bad roads in Bedfordshire, I bought a series D and fitted AVO dampers front and rear, tried it on our nearest very bad road, I have to say it is a very improved ride, partly because its a D and also the more modern Dampers perhaps and yes I crept out this week on it to deliver a few potatoes to my 90 year old Uncle, (my excuse)

Albervin

VOC Member
Alyn, When were you last in the UK? of late I don't think even a Rolls Royce rides like a Rolls Royce on our potholed roads, let alone a well sorted Vincent, but that could depend on what county you were riding in I suppose, some of the Scottish Highland roads are fantastic, billiard table smooth tarmac. Sadly not so in Buckinghamshire and Berkshire.
Peter, compared to many Australian roads your roads are mainly a delight. I rode from deepest Cornwall to idyllic Gloucestershire three years ago. Mainly A roads and motorway but the back roads of Cornwall were still fine for me.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
A lot of the Cornish think they have deteriorated considerably in the last four years although now they are beginning to do a lot better repairs. Just wish they would go along all the single-track lanes and remove the grass & earth that has built up over the years in the middle as bike riding the handlebars extend further outboard than car wheels and keep catching the brambles.

vibrac

VOC Member
The bike also makes a difference
I did a MCC trial which was from Cornwall to Brooklands I was on a 1958 650 Trophy standard trim with Trials knoblies it started in the dark one of the competitors was on a Royal Ruby which is a belt drive veteran (this is in company with road bikes and trials bikes remember) it was festooned with dry batteries to drive his lights somewhere after dawn out towards the north side of Mortonhampstead we were riding down one of those west country lanes tarmac but very muddy and grass in the middle we were all slipping and sliding when the Royal Ruby came by all the trail bikes its 2" narrow tyres cutting through the mud and finding plenty of grip and he had time to wave one hand at us! I remember he climbed the test hill at Brooklands as well but he started in the car park.
1586353281249.png