F: Frame Ikon damper

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was searching for a firm to do vapor blasting near me and some how landed up finding this. I've been considering the AVO's both the standard looking ones and the coil overs but I admit I am somewhat put off by the price. I have also looked at the price of the club exchange units, but again the price. I was wondering if anyone had tried them and what they thought of them?

Steven

1586205304131.png

Albervin

VOC Member
I have been using them for years. The originals were steel bodied like the old Koni but for the last few years they are alloy bodied. You can even ask for heavier or lighter damping. With the Aussie dollar sinking in the sunset they represent excellent value.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
What is the performance like compared to say a Koni, which I found to be unresponsive to small undulations (like a corrugated road surface where it is breaking up in small patches) I had a pair on my twin and this is what led me after installing one of the first modified steering stems to doing the initial damper/spring trials for Norman as with Koni's (I tried 4 including one NOS) on some roads I was being shaken to bits. having tried several different makes of dampers the Koni was by far the worst in this respect, being almost rigid unless hitting a proper bump.
Chris.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Chris, I guess you know this, but at one time Koni differentiated between front and rear dampers, with the front being more compliant than the rear, but I think it was still less compliant than the standard Vincent and Armstrong shock.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I know that with international exchange rates being what they are some stuff can seem very expensive but using a damper which has the same damping rate in both compression and extension is not going to give the best, or safest, ride. The paint finish on the AVO dampers leaves a lot to be desired and they are still not reaming the top eye to the correct diameter but I would recommend them to anyone who want a modern damp;er. They are £168 over here and if you live in a country which they do not want to export to then I would be happy to assist with that. I have no connection with the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Chris, I guess you know this, but at one time Koni differentiated between front and rear dampers, with the front being more compliant than the rear, but I think it was still less compliant than the standard Vincent and Armstrong shock.
Yes I did, the two I have say "special D" 76C and then 1083 and 1289 which I assume are model and serial numbers, the other two were returned to their owner so I don't know what they were. but what are the chances of having four of the stiffer type ?

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Having experimented with suspension on may different motorcycles over decades I have to say that a lot of people do not understand the process. You have spring rates and damper rates. You have compression and rebound on dampers. That is a lot to digest for some. IF you have found your damper to be too stiff then maybe your springs are too stiff for the damper. I have always found the best balance is a softer spring with a firmer damper but hey, I live in Australia where I can be on a highway that can bounce a cat off a hot tin roof. Sorry.
In all seriousness the damper rate and spring rate are linked inextricably. When I modified my coil over damper on my "B" Rapide I gradually went down from 180lb to a final 140lb while also changing the damper oil weight. It was a long and tedious exercise that has paid dividends over the last twenty years of comfort and control. My current Series C Shadow project I rode in the UK has Series D front springs and an IKON damper. On the UK roads it was like a Rolls Royce.. I await to see how the combo performs on Australian roads. As I live only 700km from IKON I can send the shocks back for oil or valve adjustment for minimal cost. In fact Geoff at IKON appreciates this as it gives him a better data base.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Alyn, When were you last in the UK? of late I don't think even a Rolls Royce rides like a Rolls Royce on our potholed roads, let alone a well sorted Vincent, but that could depend on what county you were riding in I suppose, some of the Scottish Highland roads are fantastic, billiard table smooth tarmac. Sadly not so in Buckinghamshire and Berkshire.

vibrac

VOC Member
I thought Bedfordshire roads were bad and then last year for a winter holiday we stayed near where I lived for the first 40 odd years of my life in Buckinghamshire those 3 days were enough! residents there have been slowly brainwashed into accepting the unacceptable the roads are atrocious why a a march down the Aylesbury high street and a blockade of the staff carpark of the county offices has not happened years ago beats me.