ignition

tim welsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Triumph TRW had an anticlock DKX2a distributor,also I believe some Royal Enfields, so you get the correct bob weights and the oil scroll on the shaft going the right way. You then only need the cam reground to suit the Vin, ( i found this the best way out as you dont then need a distributor cap or rotor arm- just use a double ended HT coil.). The drive bits are listed in Know Thy Beast as per series D. Try e-bay for distributor?
hope this helps

manxnortonman

VOC Member
Fit a BTH twin spark Ign system then forget about it,its not cheap but its the best. alternatives are Lucas competition or racing magneto's.

Regards Garry

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Pazon lists 3 different ignitions forVincent twins, for regular, medium hot and race tuned machines.
Also, in the thread on starters,there is a German designed unit that doubles as a 150 watt alternator.
I have an ignition that uses Norton Commando twin points and coils, it works well. It seems to give an even hotter starting spark than does the D distributor ignition on my other Rapide.

Also, John Mcdougall produces a breakerless ignition that uses Harley components plus an aluminum housing of his own design. The advantages of his ignition are that the Harley parts are available worldwide and that it has two advance slopes with a vacumn switching mechanism .if the motor is heavily loaded at moderate rpm,the vacumn switch goes to the more retarded slope to avoid detonation. If lightly loaded at the same Rpm, the switch will give you the more advanced curve for greater fuel efficiency.
There are also countless aftermarket programmable ignitions for Harleys, including extra hot versions for two plug heads. In order for these to be used on a Vincent,a housing for the pick up must be devised and the pikcup must be alterred for the Vincent 50 degree timing.

Glen

Last edited: