Ignition

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Greetings,I have a twin manual mag', Thinking of putting it on a Comet, I know if i leave one lead off it will short out through the earth screw, But i don't think it will do it much good, Long term, I am thinking of joining both leads together !!, Do you think it would work like a ( wasted ) spark ??. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Bruce, If I sold it for $2,500, I could buy the wife a new Hat !!. But I have to keep it in case I need it for a twin, Cheers Bill.

keny1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A proper mag would be best. We raced a 1948 Triumph 500 twin on one cylinder to get into the 250cc class. We took the second mag lead to a home made "Plug Gap" then to ground. This way the mag "thinks" there is a sparkplug out there. We inclosed the "Gap" in a hose so water, Gas, & dirt could not get in and the spark could not get out. Thought it would not be very good if spark "found" the rider or some gasoline.

Thanks Kenny Lyon
www.goldwingracingproject.info
www.projectgoldwing.org

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Kenny, Good idea, I am only thinking out loud, I will still try to get a BSA C11 distributor if i can. All The Best Bill.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Welcome to the forum, Kenny.

For those that don't recognize the name, Kenny is a member of the Bonneville 200 MPH club, and he did it the hard way, without a Hayabusa :)

And Kenny, if you know SCTA guy Ron Buzbee, I recently sold him a Triumph Terrier that he is building up for the vintage production class, 175cc.

Last edited:

keny1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All, Thanks Bill, Thanks Steve, for the kind words, and making me feel welcome.
I have met Ron Buzbee on the Salt. The SCTA rules for Vintage class require that the bike be made before 1956. The record in the P-PV 175 cc class is 52.793 mph at Bonneville Salt flats, 4235 ft alt, and on a hot day the air density can be over 8000 ft alt. Could be a hard record to capture. Still, sound like a lot of fun to me. I have worked with 12 lady riders and altogether now, the ladies have set a total of 31 Bonneville World Land Speed Records with my bikes, from 33 mph to 171 mph. The club should build and enter a vintage bike with one of my lady riders at the controls.

P-PV 175 is Production frame/Prduction engine/175 cc. Visit the official SCTA web page at: www.scta-bni.org
Bill another thought on hooking the mag spark leads together, I think the second lead will ground the first, no spark.

Kenny Lyon

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Ron Joliffe, a nice BNI/Vincent guy, has (or had) the 1000cc vintage production record, shouldn't be too hard to improve on that. I would love to try, and have even casually discussed that with Steve Hamel, maybe when my sojourn here in Ireland is over and I'm back in the States.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Going back to the original post :rolleyes:
The only person I know who has run twin spark on a Comet is Bob Culver with his Cooper Vincent.
He used a heavily modified Lucas SR1 and he added his own slip ring as well as cam ring.

HTH
Neil

vibrac

VOC Member
'Twin spark' is fairly commonplace if you are thinking twin plug head.
On a BT-H its a simple as adding an extra coil our racing comet is that way
However Bill is talking using a twin magneto on a single not the same.
I like the covered in spark plug on the half a Triumph