Ignition

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
And it is hard to relate to taking a 'record' in an open class (like partial streamlined) 50 MPH slower than the existing equivalent unstreamlined record, or a few similar variations.

Sadly, there are only a few competitors like Dave Matson, that are motivated by the pure aspect of land speed racing, continually trying to go faster and faster. After a rule change put him into a new (and therefore open) class, he refuses to take a record until he betters his existing speed.

(apologies for hijacking this thread)

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
"7.J.10 Class VG and VF:
Same as Class G or F, except that the class is limited to motorcycle engines produced prior to 1956.For reasons of historical authenticity, vintage engine modifications are restricted to older technology levels as far as practical. Accordingly, in classes VF, VG, VBF and VBG newer technologies such as EFI, or electronic reactive ignition systems are not in keeping with the spirit of the Vintage classes and are not allowed. Computers are allowed for data collection purposes only.

Engines must utilize OEM crankcase, OEM cylinders on flatheads and two strokes and OEM heads on OHV engines. Above components made after 1955 and exact reproductions may be considered legal in Vintage classes if they offer no competitive advantage. Pre installation approval by the board is required. It is the entrant’s responsibility to provide documentation and samples. A .050 in. overbore is allowed on vintage engines only (including production vintage) and will be discounted when the bore size is measured. Flathead engine displacement will be discounted 33 1/3% in determining engine displacement class limits. For example, a 1500cc measured displacement would run as a 1000cc."

The "Production" class requires a stock bike pretty much. The "Modified" class is what is useful for most of the non-stock bikes. Bikes built by the factory for racing tend to be treated as "Altered". All of these rules differ slightly between AMA, SCTA, ECTA and LTA. I think a good deal of the confusion comes from bikes that have received records by have not been protested despite mods that could be questioned. This is not a complaint. I like seeing everybody out there and there are plenty of classes. Because I run with four or five different organizations it is easier for me to stay stock.

Both Steve and Kenny know that Bonneville is the great eaqualizer. I run faster at road race events on the straight than I ever have at Land Speed Events. It is just not as easy as you would think.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
we should be able to move a thread when it gets this far off base
It would take some finding from the original heading
(A bit like following Dan Smith on the Vancouver Island tour :)

Last edited:

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Steve
Will we see you down in Killareny in Aug for the Irish vintage rally.
I hope to be there on my Vincent.
Peter allen

keny1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just change the title from "Ignition" to " A chat in the VOC Pub."

Summer of 1976, I toured England on a 650 BSA, from London up the A1 to visit the island of Bute in Scotland. (Maybe Isle of Bute), I may have the spelling wrong, but I do remember the "Pub's".

Again everyone thanks for making me feel so welcome.
Kenny Lyon
www.goldwingracingproject.info
www.projectgoldwing.org
310 631 3460

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Steve
Will we see you down in Killareny in Aug for the Irish vintage rally.
I hope to be there on my Vincent.
Peter allen
Most likely, just hope I can get my Vins through the hoops to be registered and insured here by then :)

Howard

VOC Member
Just change the title from "Ignition" to " A chat in the VOC Pub."

Summer of 1976, I toured England on a 650 BSA, from London up the A1 to visit the island of Bute in Scotland. (Maybe Isle of Bute), I may have the spelling wrong, but I do remember the "Pub's".

Again everyone thanks for making me feel so welcome.
Kenny Lyon
www.goldwingracingproject.info
www.projectgoldwing.org
310 631 3460

Small World. In the summer of 76 I toured England on a 650 BSA (hot summer that year) my Egli was still unreliable (long story) so I had to buy a BSA Thunderbolt to go on the arranged tour - Oh happy days.

H

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I've known Kenny from Bonneville over the last 35 years or so..... A very talented man! Ask him how he managed to join two Harley engines into a V-4 engine?:eek:
Cheers, John