Ignition

keny1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
P-PVR. JoliffeVincent08/00104.292

Steve, SCTA records show in August of 2000, Ron set the P-PV 1000 cc class record, and it is still current today. Still 4200 feet, hot weather, and a soft salt course could make it a hard record to beat. I would suggest building a large bore 1000 (at least 030 over bore) and race in the 1350 cc class, the P-PV 1350 class record is 81.8 mph by a Indian, or build a overbore 650 for the 750 cc class, there is no current record. A good use for those over size cylinder out there.
Thanks
Kenny Lyon
www.goldwingracingproject.info
www.projectgoldwing.org

keny1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A Quick look at the SCTA rule book, shows that I am wrong about the production class. It looks like that unless the factory made a bike of that displacement you can not race it in production class. I will have to check on this with the officials.
Sorry
Kenny Lyon

keny1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All, I wanted to clear this up, but I will have to call the officials about the rule. It Looks like, the engine must be factory displacement. We are allowed to change displacement in classes other than Vintage.

The SCTA rule book section 7.J.1 for the production vintage class engine states: "OEM engine displacement determines the displacement class for competition. Displacement may not be increased beyond that class limit."

Vintage class is for bikes made before 1956. The P-PV 1350 cc class record held by a Indian at 81.8 mph set in 2003 is what has lead me wrong. I don't know of a over 1000 cc pre-1956 Indian, that came from the factory. This Indian must have an over stock Bore or Stroke. Maybe the rule was changed after this record was set in 2003.
My apologiesto all who are reading this forum. I will have to read the rule book again. It would be a big mistake to build a bike that does not meet the class rules.
Thanks
Kenny Lyon

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Keny1 - very interesting thread you've got going here but just to clarify one little point you've made - I'm no Indian expert but they first produced the Big Chief that displaced 74CI (1200cc) around 1928 and later made 80CI engines starting around 1950.i
Interestingly several Vincents displacing 1200 cc hold vintage class records so where does that fit into SCTA rule book section 7.J.1? Any comments from those in the know?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello All, KennyI would think a good 1000 should be able to beat 104, On standard gearing 6000 revs is 110 in third gear. I did a flying 1/4 mile a long time ago and only did 124 on my road bike in top gear, Was not happy, Didn't think it out and shot back to the start and buzzed it in third !! It did the same ,124, but at a lot more revs !! Lots of fun, All The Best Bill.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The Vintage (non production) classes allow lots of mods, including changing engine size. All production classes, vintage or not, have the engine size rule where the stock displacement determines your engine size class, but you are allowed to go up to the class limit. So for the Terrier I sold, stock is 150cc, but the class is 175cc (there is no 150cc class), so Ron can go up to 175 and still be in the production class. It just so happens he is also vintage. If he wishes to leave the production class, he could run an even larger engine size.

Howard

VOC Member
HELP. I’m totally confused.

All the speeds I see on this forum for Bonneville seem VERY low, even allowing for the altitude. Am I missing something?

81.8 mph on a 1350 Indian must seem like walking pace on the wide open salt flats. Do people really invest vast sums of time and money reaching speeds I cruise at in my diesel people carrier on French Motorways?

H

keny1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All
Passenger is right, the 74 & 80 Indian would fit in the 1350 cc vintage class rules. Holiday weekend so no way to call the officials and ask about the vintage production class OEM displacement rule. The 1200 Vincents ran in a non production class, different rules for them. The Vincent Racing Team in the 1350 cc class, set the M-VG class at 151.835 mph and MPS-VG class at 160.076 mph.

Steve is also correct in that you are allowed to increase the displacement to the class limit. There being no 150 cc class, so a factory 150cc bike could be maded to 175 cc's to run the 175 class , but not made into a 250 cc bike for the 250 class, as I read the OEM production vintage rules. Anyway I repeat, That I will have to read the rule book again. It would be a big mistake to build a bike that does not meet the class rules.

Ron's 104 mph record was set over ten years ago, a good class record speed. Bonneville conditions can make go fast very hard, yet the "Salt" get into your blood, and setting a record is a lifetime a achievement.
Bonneville racing is a lot of fun, and everyone can come out and challenge a record. The current records are listed by displacement Click here and page down to the displacement you are interested in:
http://scta-bni.org/Bonneville/BNI_records.htm

Thanks Kenny Lyon

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
All the speeds I see on this forum for Bonneville seem VERY low, even allowing for the altitude. Am I missing something?

Yes, some existing records are 'soft', but many are very hard to break.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Whilst I am a fan of salt racing, it's hard to relate to a "record" at 104 mph, when my "standard" rapide will do more every time i desire! and on the road.