Ignition coils for Grosset set up

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ask him yerself, he is in the UK, went to the Severn Rally. In fact, he's probably looking for you. Seriously, he has said it several times to me. Trevor of Hayling might know; also, there may have been more than one iteration by Francois.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
coils

Most electronic ignition systems instructions will tell you not to mount the coils near to either the trigger unit or the "black box". The reason is that the magnetic flux of the coil will "talk" to the electronicals and cause all manner of apparent faults. Some units will shut down when they "see" these spurious signals.

Last edited:

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
I have the coils where the MAGGI normaly sits, when the weather here is warm, and we do get warm, I can't tell the difference, this could be luck!!!

Chris

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Grosset spruiter

Don't be ridiculous Roy. The distributor (spruiter in Glaswegian - marvellous name) is French, the coils Japanese. How on earth can they talk to one another?
(Meantime: thinks.....)

Most electronic ignition systems instructions will tell you not to mount the coils near to either the trigger unit or the "black box". The reason is that the magnetic flux of the coil will "talk" to the electronicals and cause all manner of apparent faults. Some units will shut down when they "see" these spurious signals.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi min,
try a pair off a fire blade, they work for Roger and I and are a darn sight cheaper.
norm

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I asked Glenn about this auto-turn off feature and it appears it was a fantasy of mine. So, unlike the mighty magneto, it does have to be turned off. He pointed out that Francois has an advert in the May MPH and I could get the answer from la bouche de cheval, if I wanted.

Apologies for any inconvenience I may have caused. What other fantasies of mine are you going to expose?

Bruce: could I ask you to check that again with Glen? I was told by "a usually reliable source" that it didn't, but should have.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
This isn't strictly on subject but it's related. I'm rebuilding an open series D which has coil ignition. I would like to mount a coil (or coils ) out of site under the distributor cowl. The bike has been fitted with a series C cowl at some time. I am retaining the 6 volt system. Anyone know which coil(s) would be suitable?