If you have "Forty Years On" to hand.

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
“I've done a silly thing”

I've put my copy of Forty Years On somewhere safe, so I could use some help.

Assuming tht no-one can tell me how to find it, I wonder if some one could look up the articles about increasing petrol tank capacity and tell me which MPHs thay were originally published in.
My intention is to cut the top off a new Indian tank and raise it a little.

Thank you,

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
My copy is "in the shed" if you make the top taller you will have troubles with the oil filler (unless you have a "d" ) I reckon to talk to a sheet metal worker and make it wider towards the front.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
could look up the articles about increasing petrol tank capacity and tell me which MPHs thay were originally published in.
OK, I have it opened to the section on "Carburettors and fuel," but the only article on fuel tanks is "Petrol tank Observations" by P. Bickerstaff in MPH 407, but it is very short and doesn't address increasing the capacity. The section on "Frame, forks and cycle parts" again only has one article (R. Kemp, MPH 197), but again is short and doesn't address increasing capacity. "Miscellaneous" contains a lot of articles, but if anything relevant is there, I've managed to overlook it in skimming the index twice.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The ones I remember seeing had the oil spout sawn in half and a piece of radiator hose clamped between.

vibrac

VOC Member
All the wider options make the bike look like a rough inferior.I think I discussed this some time ago when I described a tank I bought that on inspection had 2 A tank sides welded on its sides with knee recesses. The most tasty one I always fancy was one that took the rear half of the tank top slanting down towards the back and added it to another tank raising the rear into a hump I saw it in MPH many years ago it was a factory job perhaps for the french record breaking spree at Montlery

Chris Launders

VOC Member
1.You could extend your UFM filler neck using an old cap with the middle taken out and a tube welded on top and a new flange at the top, simply fit like a cap (push and twist) then put your original cap on top.
2.Just weld a box on top of the tank and disguise it as a tank bag.
Chris.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Many thanks all.
I discussed this with several people at the excellent Severn Rally. Getting a guided tour of Stu Spalding's tank I saw his minimal cutaways for Girdraulic clearance and later Brian Chapman removed his tank bag to allow photographing of the larger cutaway behind his oil filler. It was during this discussion that an Indian tank, very similar to the one I am marking up for cutting was produced and someone said that details of the the enlargement was in Forty Years On. Not being able to find my copy (it's definitely not in Roy's shed) I couldn't look it up or confirm the article's existance. My plan involves putting a vertical dam up the right of the tunnel to give a separate reserve tank, effectively making a smaller than main left tank and a larger than reserve right tank. Although they will be linked by the feed pipes the intention is to only turn them on one at a time and to use them, and fill them, separately. This is related to my reserve paranoia caused by living in a rural area where all the independant petrol stations have closed. It is often over thirty miles between petrol stations and a major detour only to find the garage closed can easily leave you stranded in an area with no phone coverage.
Stuart's extended oil filler cap is a rocker cap fitted to a tube with an internal flange and two lugs to fit as did the original but stand just proud of his raised tank top.

vibrac

VOC Member
This is related to my reserve paranoia caused by living in a rural area where all the independant petrol stations have closed. It is often over thirty miles between petrol stations

Yes the world has gone urban I am further compromised in that unless I am on the dregs I wont goto a supermarket for petrol they and the urban masses caused this drought.
Incidently the law is contradictory concerning storage of petrol while the law says 2 X10 litres metal or2 X5 plastic (good luck with that nowadays) the HSE says upto 30Litres (20+10) and kent CC says 20 litres! .
Its not clear what 'home' is when you have 2 building (barns-sheds) separated by 50 feet as I do,
the whole thing becomes a farce since storage in vehicles is excluded on a rough calculation I could store around 300 litres that way (mind you the rubbish sold today without any guide as to what it contains would be about as much good a rabbits p**ss after a month or so).
further reading :http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum-faqs.htm#storage

davidd

VOC Member
There is a solution that leaves the oil filler neck alone. You can have a small tool box at the front of the tank like the Heinrich but smaller. It can be covered with a hinged lid and hand turn screw or lock. The bottom of the box would be stock tank height and the oil cap would poke through. The fuel filler neck could also be under the lid as long as it is sleeved up high enough to fill the tank.

David

nkt267

VOC Member
Look on the main website for 'Whitikerpedia'..
MPH77..MPH466..MPH408..MPH651..John