If there was any doubt 'they' are from another planet

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Read this and weep

Do they know so little about what its like to ride a motorcycle ?

Do they think we are distracted with music and conversation ,bored and daydreaming like thay are in their tin boxes?

I say again read this and weep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12266406

Thats one bunch of Civil servants we could save money on

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Possibly relevant to new, young riders who often have a death wish but I foresee problems with the proposals. Imagine those hazard warning systems in a busy town environment, it might cause more of a hazard with distraction than it's trying to protect from ! Then there are the inevitable faults, long term reliability and cost. This type of nonsense has been vaunted in the past, anyone remember the leg shield and frontal impact system for bikes from the TRL in I think the early '80's ?

Howard

VOC Member
Hey - it's not all bad - have you missed the bit about vibrating seats?

I must have been a trend setter when I had a Bullet, that had a vbrating seat.......... and vibrating footrests............. and vibrating handlebars..................and..............

Seriously, it makes you wonder where they find these experts.

H

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Maybe if learner car drivers were required to experience riding a motorcycle as part of the test they would have a better awarness of what motorcyclists have to contend with.

mr.hutch

VOC Member
I have always thought this, but putting it into practice?, a difficult one indeed.

go really, really carefully, mr H

Maybe if learner car drivers were required to experience riding a motorcycle as part of the test they would have a better awarness of what motorcyclists have to contend with.

bmetcalf

VOC Member

I had my 2 sons take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginners course to get them exposed to the caution techniques that the instructors teach, to give them car driving survivor skills at a minimum. My daughter was in full rebellion mode and didn't, but she drives well anyway.

Most riders, certainly those who survive to our level of seasoning, realize that for failure to be alert and be ready to take action, the penalties are rather severe.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The older boy went on a 7300 mile trip on his '03 Speed Triple last summer and survived without nanny automatic assist, so he must have paid attention,.

Howard

VOC Member
I went on a speed awareness course last year (either that or being nicked properly). The guy running the course was a motorcylist, and since I was the only motorcyclist bad boy there, we got on well during the morning session.
During the Q&A section in the afternoon, he kept asking me for the motorcyclist view of the various situations. The car drivers were amazed at my view compared with their's - they didn't see slippery grid covers and people opening car doors etc as hazards.
I passed with flying colours and now observe the speed limit at all times........................as if!!!
The only thing that's stuck with me is the 2 second rule - apparently it takes 2 seconds to see a problem and react to it, so we need to leave a 2 second gap to the vehicle in front. It's a big gap at 70 mph.

H