Misc: Ignition Idler

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Haha. That is not an idler. It actually drives the magneto or alternator. It can be replaced with a cam pinion if you have the facilities to machine it to fit. A steel item is heavier than the Tufnol one but I know someone who has used one for years and many thousands of miles with no problem. It would be good to check the bearing before doing the mod.

Last edited:

erik

VOC Member
I`m thinking to replace mine because I have a BTH ignition with a Tacho drive and because of that the load is higher and steel would last longer.Regards Erik

Attachments

• 353.JPG
    353.JPG
    436.2 KB · Views: 24

timetraveller

VOC Member
I would ask what the bearing is inside the BTH unit and if it is strong enough then it would be a good idea. You can always lighten the gear by thinning the flange and drilling holes in it.

vibrac

VOC Member
I would stick to the softer drive pinion it was retained for the non ATD series D even though I would hazzard the D distributor was a more robust item than a Mag or even a BTH

oexing

VOC Member
Well, no surprise, I did the gear in Alu 7075 for the Vertex magneto. Not a big deal when you got a gear cutter from Aliexpress and a mill with dividing head.

Vic
P1080021.JPG