Identify the Dynamo and Terminals

poor1

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Poor result tonight for England.

Back to electrics: Would it make sense, with F & D on the Regulator connected to F & D on the dynamo, to expect a voltage to register on a volt meter across the A and E on the Regulator with the engine running?.

Sorry I wrote this before reading the contribution by Chris Launders which I think amounts to the same thing.

Thanks for the link to the interesting Matchless piece.

Last edited:

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The sort of electricity that comes out of a dynamo will never work well with a high impedance multimeter. The "light bulb' approach suggested by Chris is far better. Just don't use a bulb that you aren't prepared to sacrifice as you may blow it.

poor1

Non-VOC Member
The sort of electricity that comes out of a dynamo will never work well with a high impedance multimeter. The "light bulb' approach suggedted by Chris is far better. Just don't use a bulb that you aren't prepared to sacrifice as you may blow it.
Glad you told me . Thank you.

highbury731

VOC Member
If your bulb does not glow, do not assume the dynamo is duff - flashing may be the cure. Mine did not work when I first got the bike running, and flashing fixed it immediately

poor1

Non-VOC Member
If your bulb does not glow, do not assume the dynamo is duff - flashing may be the cure. Mine did not work when I first got the bike running, and flashing fixed it immediately
That is useful to know too because having rigged up a bulb it did not light up. I will give it a try before taking the dynamo off for further examination but it will be a few days before I will be able to.

poor1

Non-VOC Member
Also, the commutator may have become dirty. Give it and the brushes a gentle clean.
Thanks for the suggestion. The dynamo is still mounted on the machine. I have so far not been able to get the black plastic end plate off to get at the brushes. It is secured by two 2BA nuts but having removed these nuts the end plate is reluctant to move and I am afraid of using too much force in case there is something else holding it which I am not aware of.
Should it come off easily?.

highbury731

VOC Member
You probably won't need to take the end plate off the dynamo to get at the commutator to clean it. Just remove the clamp-on band for access, put a clean lint-free cloth on the commutator, and slowly rotate. You can drag a part of the cloth between commutator and brushes, which should get them clean enough.