Ian Sharples

Arborfield

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ian Sharples. Ian was a member of the West London section way back in the 1960s and 70s, and drew and produced a magnificent line drawing of a Shadow. He later sold his machine and left the club. Can anyone please help me locate Ian, as I am desperate to contact him. If, as is possible, Ian may have passed away, can anyone put me in touch, perhaps, with his family?
Thank you in advance.
Also, I am rather keen to try and purchase a copy of Phil Vincent's autobiography. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Arborfield.

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
PCV auto....

If I haven't got my books confused - I got mine off ebay.....

You could also try Amazon books - they do new and secondhand books on-line.

Unable to help you with Ian Sharples but I am sure someone on the Forum will a little later.

Regards

Stuart
Ian Sharples. Ian was a member of the West London section way back in the 1960s and 70s, and drew and produced a magnificent line drawing of a Shadow. He later sold his machine and left the club. Can anyone please help me locate Ian, as I am desperate to contact him. If, as is possible, Ian may have passed away, can anyone put me in touch, perhaps, with his family?
Thank you in advance.
Also, I am rather keen to try and purchase a copy of Phil Vincent's autobiography. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Arborfield.

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I remember meeting Ian(Ginger) Sharples on the IOM in the late sixties. He had broken the rear brake cable of his Shadow so I offered the spare one I had with me but he declined-don't remember why. I believe he was in the British Transport Police as a draughtsman and, knowing I had an interest in railways,sent me a copy of a drawing he had made. This showed the outcome of a derailment at Ealing on the Western Region where an open battery box door of a diesel loco fouled some point mechanism resulting in considerable carnage
The upshot of this was resiting the hinges of the boxes at the top so that even if not fastened they could not swing downwards.