Ian Hamilton remembered.....

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
All,

If my MPH reading is correct, this Friday, 04th April, sees the 9th anniversary of Ian Hamilton losing his life whilst doing what he loved, racing his Egli Vincent at Cadwell Park.

I thought one way of remembering Ian would be to start a thread where those of us with memories of Ian can post, maybe also add some photographs to the Photo's section. I've got two or three in old fashioned format that I will try to have scanned and posted this week.

My Dad and I knew Ian in the 1970's and early 80's. He was the reason we joined the VOC in Scotland and ended up with a 1952 Rapide. I have bought that bike back and own it again today - so this Friday, 4th of April, I will take it for a run and remember Ian Hamilton, that strange pink jumper he liked to wear over his riding leathers and the super Egli Vincent that he often had at the front of the racing pack.

I also read in older MPH's that at least a couple of the new frames he had designed for Comet engines were due to be produced - can anyone say whether these did in fact get onto the road and are they still in use today?

So if it wasn't for Ian I wouldn't have the Rapide or be in the VOC today, thank you Ian.

Regards to all

Stuart

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Ian Hamilton

I first knew of Ian sometime around 1974. At that time he lived near Glasgow. I have a clear memory of meeting him, near Carmunnock, he on a Guzzi Le Mans waiting to pull out and I on an Ariel Huntmaster on the main road from East Kilbride.
I don't know if he had Vincents then. At one time Ian went regularly to the South of France, making the journey on the Guzzi, a Commando, and a 250 MZ. The MZ turned in the shortest journey time....
I last time met him was at Knockhill when I started racing again in 1993 or 94. Ian was racing the Egli. He mentioned the meeting in his MPH column.
I keep coming into contact with him: the first bikes i recognised in Giovanni Cabassi's studio were Ian's bikes, and when I was given a Comet basket case, Ian's name was in the logbook. If immortality means not being forgotten, he's immortal.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I think it was High Blantyre with his folks...

"I first knew of Ian sometime around 1974. At that time he lived near Glasgow. I have a clear memory of meeting him, near Carmunnock, he on a Guzzi Le Mans waiting to pull out and I on an Ariel Huntmaster on the main road from East Kilbride."

Hi Tom,
I think it was High Blantyre between Hamilton (where Dad and I lived) and East Kilbride. If I'm right then it was still with his parents at that time although I don't actually recall meeting them. I do remember there being Vincent parts everywhere (I mean everywhere!).
There was a Series A Rapide in three or four "large lumps" dotted around the stairway - the engine was in one piece.
Stuart

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
Hello Stuart

I have found a photo I took of Ian at Cadwell in 1975. I shall try to attach a copy of it to this reply (I am new at finding my way around this forum) and also in the main block of photos.

If you like the picture you are welcome to use it. Bear in mind that the picture reproduced here will be a low resolution e-mail type photo. I will be pleased to send a 'full strength' one on a disc if you let me know your name and address - you could do that by the private message facility in the members list. The photo is originally a 35mm black and white negative.

Pete

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I think we may have been at the same race meeting in 1975

Hi Pete,

Fascinating - I now need to head off to look through my black and white pictures but I think that you and I may well have been at the same race meeting - I have some pictures taken from the bottom of Mansfields (I think that's the name of the tight downhill left hander) with that same helmet, bike number and pink jumper over his leathers. It could well have been on the same day....
Stuart

"I have found a photo I took of Ian at Cadwell in 1975. I shall try to attach a copy of it to this reply (I am new at finding my way around this forum) and also in the main block of photos."Pete[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I have fond memories of Ian, can' believe it's 9 years already, must be getting old. I started racing my Egli as a novice (never progressed!) in the mid 1990s. I met Ian at nearly every meeting, he was always friendly, helpful and brimming over with his latest technical innovations. I was competing in the same race at Cadwell on that fateful day. I was dicing in the middle of the pack (by my standards a great achievement) when the red flags came out to stop the race. I only learned later that Ian had been involved and sadly died from his injuries.
No one would wish it, I guess, but if you've got to go could there be a better way than on a Vincent?
Bill

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
In memory of Ian Hamilton I took my Rapide out this afternoon.....

Evening All,

In memory of Ian I took my Rapide out for a run and saw a magic number on the 5 inch speedo for the first time since Terry Prince re-built the engine 2700 miles ago - wow!

Thanks Ian, without you I wouldn't have the bike today.

Cheers all

Stuart

Have a look at this one - but there's quite a few more if you search photo's and click on last 7 days that should pick them up till 11th April.

http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1356&cat=all&limit=last1

PaulCraven

Forum User
VOC Member
Ian Hamilton remembered

I never had the pleasure of meeting Ian Hamilton but my neighbour knew him. I lived in Strathaven then, not far from High Blantyre, however by sheer coincidence, as Ian had re-located to Bedfordshire, I did buy a basket case Black Prince from his estate and restored it. I was told that his plan had been to restore it in memory of his father so, in a sense, I did it for him and think I did him justice as it won the Cecil Mills Trophy at the VOC Rally in the IoM last August.
Paul