Ian Boyd Back in Black Racing

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had the youtube video of this machine on constantly at the Copdock Show this year.The amount of interest/envy/admiration shown when it was explained that this is a prewar bike was amazing ( I will not use AWESOME )..John

Last edited:

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Heard about Ian Boyd's racing Comet several years back . Heard that it ran right with G50s and Manxes of the same era , coming in among the first 3 over over the finish line . Top end around 134 / 135 mph . I had a round about dealings with the gentleman when he bought the fully intact Picador from Vaughn Greene , my old pal . Had been sitting still on its original pallet for decades under his bench where I had seen it when visiting him . Dusty but unmolested with original test tags still attached . Sid .

davidd

VOC Member
The dyno sheet below is a response to Glenliman in the Terry Prince MK 5 Cam post who claimed John Trease built a Comet that made 58 hp. Because it was Ian's bike which is featured in this post, I thought the info should go in this post so it could be found at a later time.

David

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
This is the Kel Carrick built bike, engine by John Trease, that Kel raced for 3 season with great success and then sold to Ian Boyd, I was speaking to Ian last night he said it may not be raced a gain only displayed

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
David, was the 58'rwhp obtained using alcohol fuel or a blend of some sort?
58rwhp equates to around 70 crankshaft, quite something for 500ccs and pushrods.

Glen

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
The Vinton is also a Kal Carrick, John Trease made Bike, and was ridden by Kal Carrick Jnr, and was on alcohol, now in the Ian Boyd collection

jim burgess

VOC Member
The Comet is not bad either:

ISLANDCLASSIC218.jpg

David
Y'know I could be wrong but it looks like a Norton frame t'me...
Jim Burgess Norvin S.O.