I want to build Armageddon

Big Matty P

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've been a big Ogri fan for ages and fancy building his Norvin Armageddon.
I was wondering if it would be possible to build a 'new' engine from the parts that the VOC have remanufactured. I would hate to take one from a Shadow and certainly wouldn't want to cut off the gearbox as I have heard has been done in the past.
I have some engineering experience (whether it would be enough for this I am not sure) and I was hoping some of you would have an idea of how much an engine from parts would cost to buy and more importantly how difficult it would be for me to build. I have an uncle who loves his bikes and has a Shadow but I don't see as much of him as I would like as we live at other ends of the country so I would have a little help.
I am guessing that I would probably be biting off much more than I could chew but if the cost isn't too high and the spannering not ridiculously intensive then I would love to have a go.
Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts, thanks :)

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've been a big Ogri fan for ages and fancy building his Norvin Armageddon.
I was wondering if it would be possible to build a 'new' engine from the parts that the VOC have remanufactured. I would hate to take one from a Shadow and certainly wouldn't want to cut off the gearbox as I have heard has been done in the past.
I have some engineering experience (whether it would be enough for this I am not sure) and I was hoping some of you would have an idea of how much an engine from parts would cost to buy and more importantly how difficult it would be for me to build. I have an uncle who loves his bikes and has a Shadow but I don't see as much of him as I would like as we live at other ends of the country so I would have a little help.
I am guessing that I would probably be biting off much more than I could chew but if the cost isn't too high and the spannering not ridiculously intensive then I would love to have a go.
Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts, thanks :)
£12,000.00 would be a good figure to start with.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Been there, done that

I was wondering if it would be possible to build a 'new' engine from the parts.

I had a similar idea recently, Get Steve at Maughans to quote you for one of his excellent bottom ends, Speak to Vinparts about a set of Godet cases, a pair of Goden heads and a quaife 5 speed gearbox and £12,000 total wont be far wrong. At the end you will have a brilliant engine and a lot of fun building it, I know I did.

Pete

timetraveller

VOC Member
Alternatively do what is suggested with the bottom end but then get everything from the crankcases up wards from Terry Prince in Australia and you will start off with a 1200 cc engine with squish bands in the heads and, to choice, about 10:1 compression ratio. Oh what fun you will have!!

Comet Rider

VOC Member
TPV top ends

When I spoke to Terry at Bonneville this year he stated that he had (then) only 25 kits left, and there might not be any more made after that......:confused:

The other option is to get a couple of the German heads and mate them with VinParts 90 bore kits, almost as good.:D

Neil

Big Matty P

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks a lot

Thanks guys, I will contact the various guys you have mentioned. I only have to convince my wife that we need a Norvin now !! :)
It seems like a brilliant project to me, thanks for the advice :)