I Simply do not believe it !!!

alscomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well would you believe it, I have tried everything to start my Comet,discussed it with
learned men,Even had a high ranking member of the Vincent owners club kick it over.
Asked people to stand the other way and discuss something other than my Comet whilst I kicked away removing most of my clothing to let some of the steam escape.
Well today I removed my spark plug (B6SE) and fitted a NGK B5ES left the gap as it arrived at 24 thou, Removed my magneto end cap and checked the gap at 14 thou.
Turned the fuel on,flooded only until I could see fuel at the top of the carb,set the choke to off( Lifted the slide) Did a slow kick to compression,pulled in valve lifter
and then took kickstart down to bottom and then slowly back to top.
Got myself ready and gave it a swift but not hard kick whilst quickly letting out the valve lifter.Keeping my hand off the throttle at all times. It started easily every time
10 kicks out of ten. A miracle has happened ,Will it start under duress,with an audience, in the rain who knows. If anyone would like my healing hands to start their Comet let me know. I bought my spark plug from Spark Plugs ltd £1.70 Earth pounds + Vat 08448004258 I have no connection to this company other than they may give me a bung if there's a rush on B5ES plugs. Alan

A_HRD

VOC Member
Well would you believe it, I have tried everything to start my Comet,discussed it with
learned men,Even had a high ranking member of the Vincent owners club kick it over.
Asked people to stand the other way and discuss something other than my Comet whilst I kicked away removing most of my clothing to let some of the steam escape.
Well today I removed my spark plug (B6SE) and fitted a NGK B5ES left the gap as it arrived at 24 thou, Removed my magneto end cap and checked the gap at 14 thou.
Turned the fuel on,flooded only until I could see fuel at the top of the carb,set the choke to off( Lifted the slide) Did a slow kick to compression,pulled in valve lifter
and then took kickstart down to bottom and then slowly back to top.
Got myself ready and gave it a swift but not hard kick whilst quickly letting out the valve lifter.Keeping my hand off the throttle at all times. It started easily every time
10 kicks out of ten. A miracle has happened ,Will it start under duress,with an audience, in the rain who knows. If anyone would like my healing hands to start their Comet let me know. I bought my spark plug from Spark Plugs ltd £1.70 Earth pounds + Vat 08448004258 I have no connection to this company other than they may give me a bung if there's a rush on B5ES plugs. Alan

Alan,

Do a forum search for "NGK Plugs - Again"; there's pages of it! Then you'll believe it!
Then throw away your "good" NGK plug and buy an equivalent one of your next favourite make. It's better than the aggro of it failing when you least need it... My last one failed halfway up the steep, wet, oily ramp of the Dover-Calais ferry, two-up with the camping gear, 200 miles from new. Which was better than the NGK it replaced - 4 miles - never ever to fire again...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I have taken to scrounging in old car boots in breakers' yards. Surprising how many new KLG FE 75's I have found!! Also try The Green Spark Plug Co. They did have some new FE60 detachable plugs in stock a while ago.

Albervin

VOC Member
I have never had an issue with NGK plugs but plenty of problems with Champions. Maybe our NGKs in Australia come from Japan and your's are from Poland or Hungary? After reading various threads here I tried KLG but went back to NGKs as starting and fuel consumption was worse with the KLG plugs :-(