I need a vincent

AlecRogers

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hello
I really want a black shadow, I have got a rough idea of how much money i need to get one and i am about a quater of the way there. I cant seem to find any for sale, how many were made and where is the best place to look? when I do get one all I am going to do is clean it, ride it, clean it, ride it and so on until i run out of money.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The best place to look is probably the U.S. The figure I have heard is aproximately 1500 Shadows and most of them went to the U.S. As you can see, there is more demand than product, so I am not surprised that you cannot find one. The Series D Shadows are quite good and tend to be underpriced because of their looks, but they rarely come up for sale.

David

AlecRogers

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
thank you for the information, if you dont mind me asking david which vincent have you got and have you had any problems?. i have been reading the march issue of the 'Classic Bike' and they seemed to have been built to last.

davidd

VOC Member
Alec,

All of these old bikes are a bit of a hair shirt. The Vincent just provided more bang for the same trouble. For those of us who have been into Vincents for decades, it has become equal parts social network along with the mechanical and sporting interest. The bikes I have spent the most time with are a 1950 Grey Flash, a Grey Flash racer (namely a Comet built to race when I retired the Grey Flash) and Black Lightning, built and so called by Egli in 1968, which was the fourth Egli built.

When buying a Vincent it is all about the condition and who built or maintained the bike. If you get a good one, you will have a ball. I had very few problems with the Egli.

Egli_DD8.jpg

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Alec,
If David's Egli appeals to you, take a look at the Slater Egli offered at present on this sight. Put together properly, they're a really excellent bike.
Cheers, John

AlecRogers

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
David
How did you manage to get involved with the grey flash and the lightning?, dont tell me you use to own them. hello John, I am not really a fan of the egli's or the norvin's, i like the originals.

I have always wanted a bike with a manual advance and retard, on the vincent's, do you only use it to aid starting or do you also use as you go along?.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
There are 2 Black Shadows listed for sale on the Atlantic Motorcycles website (UK) and a non-matching Vincent with Black Shadow engine on Venture Motorcycles website (UK).

davidd

VOC Member
A long time friend, Coburn Benson, owned the Grey Flash and raced it in the late sixties and early seventies. I raced the Flash until 2009 when I retired it from racing. It is one of the three Flashes imported to North America. I have been involved with a Black Lightning, but in the above post I was referring to the Egli as Fritz Egli had several models and the 70 hp model with a Shadow engine was called a Black Lightning. The other Black Lightning I have been involved with is one that was built by Indian Sales Corporation in the U.S. as a special order for Gene Aucott. Motorcycle Classics did an article on it which I can send you if you write me at daviddunfey@aol.com. I have been running the Racer for the past few years and I am presently third in the national standings for this season.

David

deejay499

VOC Member
It is a good idea to join the Vincent Owners Club and keep an eye on the ads in the mag. Usually at more sensible prices than dealers. You can also place a free to members 'desperately wanted' ad in it. Good luck.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I can only agree with Deejay499 - if you are serious, join the club. You will get more opportunities to see the different models of Vincent and how they are used. You may then decide to modify your aims and buy a Comet (based on half a Shadow) while you are saving for a Black Shadow. Many of us have gone this route and I don't know anyone who has regretted it. You may even be able to afford one already.
None of the post war models were fitted with manual advance and retard as standard so if that is your desire you need a pre-war bike and they tend to be more expensive.

Good luck,