I need a drawing of ET84, exhaust nut

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howard, that's the one.
It gets a bit heavy on the technical side. My simpleton take on cams is ; little bit of metal removed or added here or there, whole lotta change in power curve.
There is science behind it all but I'm not sure if anyone truly understands it, or just thinks they do!
Hopefully the writers of the Mercedes F1 cam program have a good hunch on how it all comes together.

Didn't PEI design the MK2 cams, or are they the work of someone else? I seem to recall him discussing the thought behind that profile and the MK1s/MK3s profiles somewhere in Tuning for Speed.

What about the Picador/Somerton arrangement, who was the person behind that?

Glen

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Howard, that's the one.
It gets a bit heavy on the technical side. My simpleton take on cams is ; little bit of metal removed or added here or there, whole lotta change in power curve.
There is science behind it all but I'm not sure if anyone truly understands it, or just thinks they do!
Hopefully the writers of the Mercedes F1 cam program have a good hunch on how it all comes together.

Didn't PEI design the MK2 cams, or are they the work of someone else? I seem to recall him discussing the thought behind that profile and the MK1s/MK3s profiles somewhere in Tuning for Speed.

What about the Picador/Somerton arrangement, who was the person behind that?

Glen

Hi Glen, busy day today, so no time for trawling tinternet, and no access to T for S.

My take on cams is - if they open and close the valves in about the right place they're ok. It's a facinating science, but not one I've ever had time to study). I "tuned" my twin in the late 70s, 9:1 plus, 32 mm carbs, bigger ports, Mk2 cams, straight through "silencer" etc............. but I just wasn't happy til I put Mk3s in (everything else stayed the same) - the engine is now faster and much more flexible. One note, the quality control on Vin parts in the 70s wasn't as good as now, so just because it said Mk2 on the cam doesn't necessarily mean that's what it was.

H