I hate stainless steel :-)

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
True, but Vic, it's not hard coming, that's a plating process.
This is by diffusion, or something like it.
www.chromin.nl

BTW, I've got me a full set of titanium grade 5 and metric nuts, to play with.
I could not get BS ones....
The bike needs to shed bit more weight:
I myself can't loose any weight any more, and I want to be faster than @erik , as he is slimming down very fast nowadays.

Last edited:

john998

VOC Member
The original B SS kickstart levers were chrome plated. the one I talked about was one that had been in the family since new in 1949.
Hello Robert, until recently I had a stainless kick start crank, it was unplated.
Both my bikes have Australian made stainless silencers that are chrome plated.
I think the idea was to avoid the the straw colour.
Regards John.

oexing

VOC Member
Hi Vincent, the inchroming process looks great and seems to be the solution when pairing stainless with bronce bushes in girders. The "easier" way is just have common 18/10 ss and Permaglide or IGUS plastic bushes . The IGUS material J is available in rounds and low cost when not having ready made bushes. So in girder overhauls it may be simpler to turn bushes and ream to sizes after pressing in for alignment. So for IGUS stuff no big difference between hardchrome or plain stainless.
Yes, my choice of titanium for various spindles and studs was for weight saving, not for racing but for old age of driver. I hope to keep weight below 200 kg when finished. Titanium is not so perfect for IGUS but I don´t expect to do 100 000 km with the bikes at my age so no factor of a bit more wear as compared to stainless. Luckily in Ebay there are Chinese sellers of titanium grade 5 so yes, we can !

Vic

rolled M 8 titanium stud
P1080053.JPG

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I do love a bit of sarcasm.
I remember a very entertaining contest, I think in the NY times in which readers were invited to pick a word and by changing or adding only 1 letter, give it a new meaning. One of my favourites and therefore the only one I remember was
Sarchasm, the distance that a sarcastic comment clears the head of the intended recipient.

oexing

VOC Member
I do love a bit of sarcasm.
. . . . . Ahhh, well. that Horex photo was meant to clarify in a picture what I tried to explain in my texts. Unfortunately seemingly in vain for some here . . . . .

Vic

john998

VOC Member
As far as stainless steel goes in stressed applications I am OK on girdraulics but not on Brampton. Especially as I have no idea what grade I am making them out of as my supplies came out of the scrap pile. John.